Freeziing meat

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Freeziing meat

Postby aboz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:36 pm

I am wondring what everyone does when they freeze meat? want to try to figure out th best way to do it. I used to just put it in ziplok bags but after a while it got freezer burn. Now I will wrap in sarnwrap to keep air tight.
take em
aboz
hunter

Re: Freeziing meat

Postby The Shovla » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:11 pm

I use the seal a meal vacume sealer bags and it'll keep everything nice for over a year. Not the cheapest way to go, but it does work.
The Shovla
hunter

Postby xtrema2shooter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Vacuum sealer. I've still got some deer from 3 years ago that's as good as it was the day it went into the freezer.
xtrema2shooter
hunter

Postby BrentP » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:46 am

Untill I am able to afford a vacume sealer, what are some other ways of storing meat? When saving duck tenderloins or legs, I just keep adding them to a freezer bag untill there are enough for a meal. I suck the air out of the ziplock bag and place it into another bag before it goes in the freezer. Seems to work okay for a few months.
BrentP
hunter

Postby The Shovla » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:11 pm

try freezer paper and tape it up good. That's what I do to my venison roasts and backstraps. But for sure get a vacume sealer when you can.
The Shovla
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:07 pm

BrentP wrote:Untill I am able to afford a vacume sealer, what are some other ways of storing meat? When saving duck tenderloins or legs, I just keep adding them to a freezer bag untill there are enough for a meal. I suck the air out of the ziplock bag and place it into another bag before it goes in the freezer. Seems to work okay for a few months.

I freeze them like you said but in water.

good for over 1 year, easily
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:01 pm

+1 on bayouboy, drop the meat in ziploc and fill with water covering the meat. Deffinately the way to go when a vac sealer is not an option.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby Kyle Wintersteen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:14 pm

bubbasblazer wrote:+1 on bayouboy.

+2
Kyle Wintersteen
Newb

Postby okie_duck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:32 pm

I do the same, but add a 1/2 cup of alegro marinade to the water in a gallon freezer bag. I also do not use the microwave to defrost unless making jerky or sausage.
okie_duck
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm

i pack mine in water as well when freezing. Will buy a vacuum sealer whenever i actually get the money to do so
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby bayouboy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 pm

joshco84 wrote:i pack mine in water as well when freezing. Will buy a vacuum sealer whenever i actually get the money to do so

what's up josh?

y'all season open yet?
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:09 pm

yup, has been for two weeks, only been out once so far since just the western zone is open so far. We shot 23 birds last sunday morning though! :wink:
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby holzy82 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:25 pm

I wrap them in saran wrap, making sure all the meat is covered and there is no air bubbles, then wrap them with a layer of freezer paper. I've eaten 3 year old meat wrapped this way that had no freezer burn.
holzy82
hunter

Postby abmcp13 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 am

Try Ziploc's vacum sealer system. It's around $10 for the pump and an extra set of big bags. I just started using them this year and they seem to work really well.
Go afield with a good attitude, Walk with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. -Fred Bear
abmcp13
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking