Coots are good !!!

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Coots are good !!!

Postby twintrades » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:39 pm

Ok first off I was sceptic. But I had to try them.

First off I just took out the breast meat. And made shure there was NO fat. And soaked them in milk for a day in the fridge.

Then I salt and peppered them. Coated with only four. And fryed them in oil. They were geat. My 2 yr old ate them instead of pizza. Now that's something. To night it's coot with wild rice.

In all honesty you have to try it. Don believe what you here. Most people that say crap about them haven even had one. Or if they did it wasnt prepared properly. This week I'm gonna limit out on coots !!! There is a surplus this yr.
twintrades
hunter

Re: Coots are good !!!

Postby bayouboy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:08 pm

i have never tried them but have also heard they are very good (especially fresh in a gumbo)
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:28 am

I don't see why they wouldn't be!!!it's not like they eat a bunch of trash. Actually they crop grass like geese ,and a chicken [my favorite meat of all] eats some really nasty stuff!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am

They are some of my most favorite birds to eat! ALways have been! We fill the freezer up with them every year!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby kamrankhanma » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:46 am

bayouboy wrote:i have never tried them but have also heard they are very good (especially fresh in a gumbo)

yeah it is good because i have tried it . :thumbsup: :welcome:
kamrankhanma
Newb

Postby twintrades » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:09 am

Well theres getting to be fewer around here lately.There heading south now.
Next yr ill getem
twintrades
hunter

Postby dablaw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Had a supper full of coot tonight that we killed on thanksgiving morning...Thought my boys would end up fighting over the last one...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby twintrades » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:57 pm

HAha After tasting one i had no clue why others say there horrible.... ? There Grrrrreat

Ill gladly fill my bag any day with coot.
twintrades
hunter

Postby toxicwater » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 pm

i also agree they are good to eat the only reason i think people don't like them is because the fat sticks to their meat making them a pain to clean. :thumbsup:
Toxic Calls Field Staff

Ducks and Bucks
toxicwater
hunter

Postby scubaarchery » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm

I went hunting this morning and saw about 100 coots. The daily bag is 15, but I only took 1 for dog training. Based on your recipes, I will give them a few shots on Saturday. I found an interesting (although fancy) for my taste online....

http://italianfood.about.com/od/meatyri ... lr1265.htm

try this if you like italian. I will try some of the simpler ones above...
scubaarchery
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 pm

They taste almost like duck to me. I shot one when we were on a 5 day hunting trip, took it back to camp, boiled it in season salt until that boiled over, then put it on the BBQ to finish cooking and it tasted fine.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby calamari » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Here in California the limit is 25 but they tend to be relegated to being shot by kids with their Christmas guns or guys when the ducks don't fly.
In my lifetime they used to have "Coot Shoots" at the state run wild life areas as a way to reduce their numbers for some reason. It would be after the season and there was no limit but you had to pick up all you shot and bring them to the check station where they had a flat bed truck piled high with birds. Anyone could take as many as they wanted. They buried what was left. Don't do that anymore for good reason.
They'd also give out a simple sheet with instructions on how to clean them and various recipes. You can pull them apart by grabbing a wing in one hand, take the head, the opposite wing and that sides leg and put your knee alongside the neck and pull. The breast will come off attached to the wing. Do the other wing and the individual legs. You end up with the two breasts attached to the wings and the two legs. They have a huge gizzard too if you like them. Gizzards are great dirty rice ingredients.
I'd make Stroganoff with the breast meat and nobody knew it wasn't beef. They eat only vegetation as far as I know and are great eating. No fat to speak of so no,"Fries in Coot Fat" unfortunately.
calamari
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking