Teal

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Teal

Postby neapew » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Does anyone have any good teal recipes?
neapew
hunter

Re: Teal

Postby bayouboy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:02 pm

neapew wrote:Does anyone have any good teal recipes?

you can pot roast them.

what i do is first brown the teal (this is for plucked ducks). browning properly is key.

remove ducks then brown vegetables (onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic).

take fresh (green) jalapeño sausage and stuff in cavity of teal.

put teal back in pot, breast down, then add chicken stock in pot.

bring to a boil then toss in the oven (i believe at 300 degrees but I'm not positive, i need to ask my wife)

i'll let it cook for a few hours, just checking now and then to make sure all of the broth does not evaporate.

i like to add some mushrooms too and when it's done, you can thicken the gravy if necessary.

eat over rice.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Teal

Postby bayouboy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:04 pm

I also put some jalapeños in there as well (if I remember at the store)

Geaux tigers
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Looks awesome Bayouboy!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Gen. Lee » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Here is how I cook the teal. I marinate them overnight in raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing, then I set the oven to 425 degrees. I put a big piece of tinfoil in the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan and leave an equal amount on the foil to also cover the top of the pan. I put the ducks in (4 teal work perfect in this size pan) and make sure they have plenty of marinade on top. I cook them, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Then I take them out, re-coat with marinade, and reduce the heat to 325. I fold the top piece of foil over them at this point. Teal get 1 hour in the oven. If you have larger ducks, you'll want to let them bake another 20 to 25 minutes.

If I am going to stuff anything in teal it is rice and a few green grapes. Stuffing with the rice/grape combination works better with larger ducks because teal are so small they don't hold much stuffing.

When the teal are done, a lot of the marinade will have turned to liquid in the bottom of the pan. You can drain that off and use as a dipping sauce, but the oven's heat will have added a slightly scorched flavor to the marinade which you may not like...
Gen. Lee
hunter

Postby neapew » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks guys they both sound good ill have to try them.
neapew
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking