Cooking Shovlers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Cooking Shovlers

Postby JVex » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:06 pm

The main ducks in my area are shovlers and teal, but mainly shovlers. Does anyone know a recipe to cook shovlers so they taste good. Please no replies about cooking with pine boards (I already know that joke :smile: ) Thanks JVex
JVex
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:57 am

After much thought, and, I mean much thought...The only way I can think of might be in a pot Gumbo or ground up as somekind of sausage for the inlaws. They preatty much taste like they smell. Now,... a couple of teal is another story! Y'all have nice day! :cool:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:44 am

Take your birds and soak em in saltwater overnight. Take them out and wash them off real good and pat them dry with a paper towel. Put in your crockpot and cover the breast with barbeque sauce (I prefer KC masterpiece). Slow cook on low temp for 4-6 hours. The meat should pull apart just like you were eating a BBQ beef sandwhich. Put it on a bun and enjoy.

PS The BBQ sauce in a pot gets kinda diluted towards the end, so I put some fresh stuff on my sandwich when I make it. This is a great way to make ducks and geese,
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby dukhunter45 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:18 pm

Marinate them in terryioke and lemon juice over night, wrap them in bacon, put them on the grill. Last night i had some mallard, weigon , and shoveler using it and it was good. We also put the on skewers and put jalopeanoas inbetween each one.
dukhunter45
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:28 pm

i will use them in chili...(see recipe for "Black Bean Duck Chili" )

never used a pine board...but i have a good recipe that involves a cedar plank. lol.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:37 pm

Can't go wrong when you wrap them in bacon.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:03 pm

i cook my ducks the same way.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

shovler recipe

Postby Mallard Man » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:29 pm

we just cut the breasts off and marinade the breats with garlic salt ,orange,paparika,oregano,salt,peperhot peper. and that all it is try it it is good.
Mallard Man
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:33 am

Breast them out and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until medium rare. Feed to the dog and order pizza. :yes: No planks involved with that one...
Actually I like marinating my ducks in a wine, soy sauce, garlic, rosemary, and pepper marinade for at least one whole day, two is preferrible. After that you can't tell bluebill from mallard. Then grill them up and enjoy.
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking