Deer chili

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Deer chili

Postby Jones co Ducker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 am

I need a good deer chili recipe :help:
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Re: Deer chili

Postby apexhunter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:00 pm

3# ground venison
2 cans red kidney beans drained & rinsed
2 cans light kidney beans drained & rinsed
1 medium onion diced
1 medium green pepper diced
2-3 cloves garlic finely minced
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans crushed tomatoes (w/ juice)
1/2 small can of tomato paste
1 2.5oz bottle chili powder
salt & pepper
Texas Pete
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)

Brown ground venison- breaking up into chunks (not tiny pieces like taco meat) and drain, add to large pot or crock pot and add some salt/pepper. In fry pan w/ olive or vegetable oil sweat onion and green pepper down and add garlic for last few minutes and add to meat in pot. Add beans, all tomato products (half of the paste), the whole bottle of chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Add salt & pepper to taste and liquid smoke if you choose.

Let this cook down for 45 minutes, gently stirring occasionally and add more salt, pepper and Texas Pete to taste. If you want chili thicker add more tomato paste or some water/beef broth if you want it more thin. Allow to cook for at least an hour or 2 for flavors to combine.

For a more "meaty" chili you can season and cook some thin venison steaks (like flank steak) halfway on grill and cube into 1/4" pieces and substitute for 1# of ground venison. Add to pot and allow to finish cooking in the chili (may not need liquid smoke if steak bits have good grilling flavor).
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:41 pm

What is Texas Pete?

I make mine kind of the same as apexhunter just not as much chili powder i put just a little bit of chipotle in it cause that S is hot. Good luck with your chili :beer:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:33 am

I like to make this recipe and its even better if you make your own chili powder to go with it.

It uses stew meat instead of ground meat, but it melts in your both it gets so tender. Perfect for venison.

For the chili powder, any combination of dried chili's can be substituted for whats on the recipe, however I recommend finding the ancho chilis.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:09 am

I didn't know deer liked to eat chili. Does it attract BIGGUNS? What kind of chili powder attracts the biggest ones?

Oh........you mean cooking chili MADE out of deer. NEVERMIND....

I'll go sit in the corner a while and be quiet.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Tiburon5 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:59 pm

:lol:
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking