Coot Recipes

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Coot Recipes

Postby Fowlhunter22 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:07 pm

ok so after reading about eating coots i wanted to try some so my friend and i shot some the other day while we were hunting and i breasted them out.. i was wondering what yalls favorite recipes were for cooking coots?
thanks guys
Fowlhunter22
hunter

Re: Coot Recipes

Postby StevenL » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Duck Sausage
4 to 6 servings
Here’s something else (other than making jerky) you can do with all the ducks considered as trash eaters and therefore unsavory.
Ingredients:
2 cups duck meat, cubed
1 cup pork shoulder, cubed
2 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 celery stick, finely diced
*1 large jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
¼ cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
1 tsp. cracked black pepper, or to taste
1 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
1 egg
Vegetable Oil for sautéing

Mixing Instructions:
Push duck and pork shoulder pieces together through a meat grinder. A food processor will work –if you have a really good one. Do this at least twice to make sure both meats are well mixed. Now place the ground meat mixture in a large bowl and set it aside.
Heat the butter in a large skillet and sauté onion, celery, jalapeno and garlic until onion pieces become translucent. Add the orange juice and cook until liquid is reduced by about one-half. Add black pepper and salt. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool. Once cooled to room temperature, add this mixture to the bowl containing the meat mixture. Add egg and mix thoroughly with a spoon or by hand. Run the whole mess through the grinder or food processor at least one more time.
At this point of operation, you can form the mixture into egg-sized balls, press them into patties and cook them immediately, or you can place them on a cookie sheet and freeze them for vacuum-packaging later, or you could shape the meat into small cookie dough looking loaves before freezing and vacuum-packing.
If you decide to cook, add just enough oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet. Over medium heat, when the oil is sizzling hot, add the patties and sauté on each side until they are well browned and cooked throughout.

* Note to the Chef: If jalapeno peppers are unavailable, use a couple tablespoons of crushed red Chili –the kind you can get when ordering pizza. It’s not nearly as good (or mellow) as a fresh jalapeno or two, but it will suffice.
StevenL
hunter

Re: Coot Recipes

Postby semohunter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:30 am

made them into duck poppers with jalapeno and cream cheese, if we do go on a coot shoot, typically we just soak them in salt water over night, then soak in italian dressing w.shire sauce mixed in, then throw it on the george forman...
semohunter
hunter

Coot Recipes

Postby bayouboy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 am

Gumbo

Geaux tigers
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking