Plucking Ducks

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Plucking Ducks

Postby duckslayer28 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Im curious as to how yall take care of birds you pluck. Instead of spending all your time pickin every down feather from the bird my grandfather told me that HIS MOM would singe the breast of the plucked bird over an open flame. I tried it the other day with a lighter and it did better than usin my hands, but im wanting to know what yall do to get those tiny feathers off the skin. Thanks!
"If it flys, it dies!"
duckslayer28
hunter

Re: Plucking Ducks

Postby aboz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 am

I pluck them by sliding my thumb along the feather and pinching nthem, that gets a lot of the down. Then I just rub them good with my thumb, or get it a little wet and the feathers will stick to it. Then at the very end I singe the tiny feathers, but there is not many. Work good for me. :thumbsup:
take em
aboz
hunter

Re: Plucking Ducks

Postby Morning Flight » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:07 pm

I pluck most of it by hand, but then I take a blow torch and run it over at the end to singe off anything left behind. There is a great article on www.honest-food.net about plucking birds where he describes a method using paraffin wax and hot water. The wax sticks to every feather and piece of down and everything supposedly comes off at once. I found a video at one point of this where someone did it to a chicken and it looked amazingly easy and effortless.
Morning Flight
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking