What to do with a mallard and a blue bill?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

What to do with a mallard and a blue bill?

Postby JustinD » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:27 pm

So, with a very slow year for me, I have a mallard and a blue bill in the freezer that need eating. I've had mallard before, bacon wrapped, and it was delicious. I have other ideas for this mallard, it's the blue bill I am worried about after reading what people have to say about them, so I am curious. Should I not cook the blue bill with the mallard and just make some jerky out of it, or is there a way for my "game finicky" wife to eat it?

Now I have tried coot before, and that was absolutely terrible. Is the blue bill going to be similar to that? I think when my friend made it, he marinated the coot in olive oil and some seasoning for a few hours and pan fried it. Image
Underradar wrote:Cowards and queers. Worse, cat-lovers.

I shoot cats, if I can't run over them in my jeep first. If I do run over them, I shoot them anyway.

The Brother Hood of S.P.A.M.
S. society for the
P. proliferation of
A. alcoholic
M. meandering
JustinD
hunter

Location: About 4 blocks away from the legendary LAMBEAU FIELD, WI

Re: What to do with a mallard and a blue bill?

Postby RTRduckhunting » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:26 pm

I would not eat the blue bill. I can't begin to think of any suggestion for you on how to cook it.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
RTRduckhunting
hunter

Postby Boondock_RES » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:07 pm

There is nothing wrong with eating blue bill with a little prep work. I brine all my ducks (soak them in salt water). It helps get the blood out of the meat and will help them taste less gamey.

Search recipes online specifically for blue bill. Most call for a heavily seasoned recipe, lots of south western or gumbo style dishes. Heres one off the DU page.

Black and Bluebill
Serves 4

12 bluebill breast half-fillets
2 Tbsp. coarse steak seasoning (your favorite)
1 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
ΒΌ cup melted butter
1 large onion, cut into thin rings
1/3 c. crumbled bleu cheese
1 c. fresh tomato, seeded and diced

1. Heat a cast-iron or other heavy skillet over high heat for at least 5 minutes.

2. Combine steak seasoning, paprika and cayenne pepper. Rub mixture evenly over duck breasts. Brush seasoned breasts with butter.

3. Add duck breasts and onion to pan. Leave breasts in pan until dark brown on each side, but not past rare in the center.

4. Arrange 3 breast halves on each plate. Top with cooked onions, bleu cheese crumbles and diced tomato.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO you should always try eating whatever game you kill, at least give it your best effort to make it taste good. Otherwise, why kill it in the first place.
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras
Boondock_RES
hunter

Postby LPID66 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:19 pm

sweet and sour duck is what i do with my divers buy a kikoman sweet and sour packetet subsitute duck for pork and cook the duck rare.
LPID66
hunter

Postby downhomeduckhunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:44 pm

I cook all duck and geese the same and eat everything i shoot except coots lol. we marinade them in italian dressing overnight. butterfly the breast open put cream cheese and jalepenos in the middle wrap in bacon and blacken them on the grill. a little pricey and a lot of work but well worth it!
drake mallards have green heads
downhomeduckhunter
hunter

Postby bugman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:38 pm

The bluebill is fine. Breast it out and soak the breasts and legs in milk for 3 days, changing once or more if bloody. Then wash and cook. I'll take bluebills anyday.
bugman
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking