Deer?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Deer?

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey guys my nieghbor just gave us some deer and i was wondering what is a good way to cook it? He gave us chops, steaks, roast, and deer burger.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:49 pm

I dont know what chops are off a deer, but the steaks are best cut up and fried. The roast needs to be smoked, and the deer burger can be used in anything just like regular hamburger meat. We dont use cow burger only deer.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:41 pm

Steaks fried up in special batter
Roast injected and put in a crock pot with your favorite fixens
Burger can be used in chili, spaghetti, hamburger helper, whatever calls fur hamburger meat.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosecaller » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:30 am

Crockpot the roast with potatoes, carrotts, and as many onions as you can squeeze in there. I usually grill the steaks and you can do anything with the burger.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:18 pm

When you fry your steaks it is much safer to slice thinly and to cook in plenty of fat. Make sure your pan is HOT and cook quickly. Do not over cook, theres nothing wrong with a bit of pink. Often on tougher species and cuts of deer and older animals I tenderise my meat but usually you dont have to. :thumbsup:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I just read what was on the packages my dad gave him some of his homebrew (beer) and he liked it so gave us some deer.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby duckjumper » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:53 pm

Like Kiwi says: Think rare, or medium-rare at best. Venison is like ducks or geese - pink is what you want. Overcook a venison steak and you can wear it like a shoe. As for the roast, you can either cook the hell out of it (low heat for a LOOOONG time) or roast it as a beef roast, i.e., medium-rare inside. Unless it came from an old buck it should be tender. Either way, rub the outside with a good spice mixture and sear the outside in a big frying pan over rippin' heat, THEN put it in the orasting pan and cook at 375-400 until the inside is 140 degrees (get a meat thermometer)

Then enjoy!

d.j.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Roll ups

Postby headbiter » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Take your steak meat, cut thin strips about a quarter inch thick and how ever long you can get em. Take strips and lay on bacon strips. Roll up each one so that the bacon and deer are equally dispersed through the whole thing. Stick a tooth pick in it to hold it together, season em up, and grill until done. They are delicious.
headbiter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:49 am

GB, there are tons of recipes for vension. i like frying the steaks like a country fried steak (if toughness is a problem, use can use a meat tenderizer). i love crock pot and smoker recipes. you can't go wrong with any of those because they come out so tender you can cut them with a spoon. the best idea for you is just use your imagination.... :thumbsup:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:05 pm

how about your dads brew recipie?
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:13 pm

LOL. He has more than one but i have no idea what they are. Ill try to find them.

Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking