Duck Breast Confit'

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Duck Breast Confit'

Postby rabbitdundied » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:56 am

This is a must try recipe'.

Pluck breast
Cut the skin around the breast, be careful to cut a larger piece of skin than the breast as it will shrink when cooked. I cut all the way up onto the neck and way below the breast area.
Burn off any small feathers left on skin.

1. Rub Salt and Black Pepper into both sides of the breast.
2. "Most Important" start with a cold skillet with no oil.
3. Place breast in pan skin side down. Cook as low as the stove will allow you to. This will cause the fat to render out of the breast.
4. Cook low and slow until all fat renders out and the skin is crispy. 10-20 minutes is not uncommon. The skin will taste like bacon and the fat is simply the best fat in nature.

5. When the skin is crispy turn breast and brown the other side. "Note the more well done you cook the breast the more gamey it will taste." I cook the breast for a minute and a half on the other side, which is just enough to brown.
6. Remove from heat and allow the breast to rest for 5 minutes before cutting. "This keeps the juices from running out when cutting and keeps the breast moist."
7. Slice thinly on the bias.

Serve with steak sauce or hollandaise.

This is the easiest and best way to serve a duck and would cost $30.00 for a small serving.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Re: Duck Breast Confit'

Postby Buffler » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:25 pm

how much oil? Is it better to leave the entire breast on the bone? i kind of do this but that slow technique must get that cripsyness i miss out on. i try to fry the skin side quickly on high heat, shock it with a layer of wine, flip it, cover it, on low for 10-15. i like RARE.
Ahhh crap.
Buffler
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 am

I remove the breast and skin from the bone. The idea is to start with a dry cold skillet "no oil and no heat" and render the duck fat out of the skin. Low and slow with out turning the breast will render the fat out and crisp the skin. It take me 15-20 minutes on the skin side. I have done this in cast iron and non stick and both work fine without any sticking. You will start with a dry skillet and end up with a skillet full of oil after it renders out of the skin. Trust me it works and this is the way high dollar establishments prepare duck. Duck fat has a simply awesome flavor. It rivals pork fat on flavor.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby Buffler » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks, Rabbit!,

Now would concur that early season ducks dont have the fat that late season quackers or farm ducks have to do a confit? Or can i do this effectively any time of the year. Thanks!
Ahhh crap.
Buffler
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:24 pm

I cannot answer that one. All of the ducks I have done this with were killed in the timber in Arkansas. They are pretty fat by then. If needed I would suggest dropping a slice of bacon or two in the pan to supplement for less fat. I would try it without the bacon first though. I was very surprised at how much fat renders out of the skin. My skillet will have about a half inch of fat in the bottom of it after cooking two mallards this way.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:32 am

Just to put my two cents in. A confit is technically cooked submerged in fat. It was historically a way to conserve meat through the winter. After the meat was cooked the fat would of course congeal forming an airtight seal that would inhibit spoilage. Typically the meats are seasoned heavily to cure them before cooking as well to further help with "shelf life". I have yet to cook a duck with proper amount or quality of fat to do this but I do confit most of my legs. If you confit them first and then crisp the skin when you actually are going to eat them you can have the best of both worlds. Succulent,tender, seasoned meat, and crispy skin. Happy eating!
tako1972
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Appreciate the lesson in food terminology. I saw this method of cooking a breast on "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain. I had a buddy of mine tell me the method was called Confit' when I cooked it for him. So I am not surprised he was wrong as he is wrong about a lot of things, especially when regards to ducks. The method is still very tasty and works well.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:28 pm

@ rabbit. I was definitely not knocking your post. I am actually happy someone is contributing a recipe or technique that doesn't involve cream cheese or "Italian" vinagrette. Happy Eating!
tako1972
hunter

Postby Morning Flight » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Agree with Tako on this one... @Rabbit, you are awesome for simply wanting to prepare a duck breast in the most classic of ways, which happens to be my favorite. Rendered crispy skin, rare-med rare meat, thinly sliced and mildly seasoned. Yum

But I also agree with Tako... Confit is cooking submerged in duck fat and is a fantastic way to cook the tougher cuts of legs and wings. I have not been able to render enough fat from the birds I get. I tried once, but ended up burning it and that sucked.

I am going to try this cold pan technique though. Thanks for the tip!
Morning Flight
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Guys how about a real confit' recipe?
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby kyduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, I was intrigued by your recipe so I thought I would give it a try. Turned out pretty good--my wife and I both liked it. First I left the skillet on low for 40 minutes and only some of the fat was coming out. I could not get the skin to brown at that temperature, so after cooking for an hour I turned the skillet up to finish off the duck to med rare. My stove is a ceramic style with temp settings of low to 10. Started on low for 15 min...no action so turned it up to 2 and after 20 more got some fat in the skillet. Left it at this temp for another 20 and still no browning of the skin?? After this and being very hungry, turned it up to 6 and finished it off.
Secondly I had to add a slice of bacon for some extra fat in the skillet.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed something different than the usual poppers or italian dressing. In fact it was pretty tasty, just need to address the above issues and it should be good to go.
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Just out of curiosity what kind of duck did you try this with? I have only used mallards.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby kyduck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Mallard and two green wing teal...any hints on what you do different for your particular recipe??
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby Morning Flight » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:12 am

Here's a real confit recipe for those that asked:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... fit-102313
Morning Flight
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:12 pm