Preparing hooded merganser

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Preparing hooded merganser

Postby mawtrfowler » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:06 pm

I shot a hoodie on the last day of the season on monday and now i need to figure out what the right way to prepare it is. I know it needs to be soaked in milk or saltwater but i do not know how long it needs to be soaked. Any tips would be appreciated.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Re: Preparing hooded merganser

Postby Tcjfowler » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Honestly man they taste really bad, like really bad. BUT if you decide not to pass on them and shoot a couple then is a way to make it somewhat eatablle. First off the reason they taste so bad is due to the fact that there diet consists only of fish. Most puddle ducks diet consist of aquatic grasses and rice, which is why they taste good. Divers are little less desirable because they can sometimes get into some fish but they dont ONLY eat fish like mergansers. If you really want to eat it (not trying to sound like a jackass) take the breasts off the bird and soak in a mixture of salt water for about two days, then put into some buttermilk for one day. Remove from the buttermilk and rinse with cold water and then pat the breasts dry with a paper towel. Then coat the breasts in olive oil, garlic powder, and your favorite cajun spices and throw them on the grill. Good luck man let me know what what outcome is :thumbsup:
Wack em and stack em
Tcjfowler
hunter

Postby greasegetter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:56 pm

mergs are good if tossed properly............
greasegetter
hunter

Postby Tcjfowler » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:32 pm

greasegetter wrote:mergs are good if tossed properly............

Tossed into the trash can i assume? :lol3:
Wack em and stack em
Tcjfowler
hunter

Postby greasegetter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:51 pm

ive posted this before,ny dec rec do not ingest mergs do to contamination.so i dont chance it.but i stand firm on burger king will kill you faster.double yuk. :no:
greasegetter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:29 pm

If you're man enough to kill it, you're man enough to eat it.

Soak in a brine solution (salt and water) for a few days until the water is clear. Roast breasts in a pan skin side down first (turn once) until medium done. If you screwed up and removed the skin, use a mixture of olive oil and real butter. Throw in some other duck breasts and chances are that no one will know the difference. Take out and let rest in aluminum foil for a few minutes. Slice thin across the grain. I've even tried this on late season mallards (they will eat anything in January, including small trash fish like chubs) and got away with it. Put slices of duck on plate (we are civilized, after all) and dabble some sauce over them. Add whatever sides you have or like and drink rest of wine. :biggrin:

Special sauce.

Dried fruit-wine Sauce (this is a secret so don't tell anyone) :lol3:

1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine (I like Burgundy, but any red wine that is not to sweet)
1/4 cup mixed dried fruit, cherries, apricots, raspberries, whatever you can find. Usually in small bags at your local grocery.

Heat ingredients in small pot and let simmer until fruit is reconstitited. Add water if needed. Usually about 20 minutes so start the sauce first.

Put slices of duck on plate (we are civilized, after all) and dabble some sauce over them. Add whatever sides you have, or like, and drink rest of wine. :biggrin:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Reeba » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Hooded Mergansers have a more varied diet than other mergansers so depending on where you shoot them, they can be milder than other mergs. I smoked some today and they were terrific. I soaked the breasts with the skin on for a couple of hours in pineapple juice, garlic powder and thyme flakes. Then I smoked them on a regular charcoal grill with soaked black cherry wood chips covering the charcoal (skin side up on one side of the grill over a drip pan with the coals on the other side)(Add new coals and chips every 40 minutes. Try to keep the heat down and cook for 2-3 hrs.) They were honestly as good as any other duck.
Reeba
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking