Smoking Duck and Goose

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Smoking Duck and Goose

Postby Grebe Slayer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 am

Anyone have any experience smoking their duck or goose. I just got a propane smoker and plan on doing a little experimenting. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on smoke chip flavors, rubs, or brines?
Grebe Slayer
hunter

Re: Smoking Duck and Goose

Postby LAspeckiller » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 am

I do a lot of speck hunting and smoke them quite often. I inject the birds with Cajun injector creole butter and put kosher salt and black pepper on the outside, then rub them with cane syrup ( I use steins can syrup). Sometimes I will also put clover garlic chunks in the breast of the bird. Cut an onion in half and put it in the water along with some worstechier( however you spell it) in the water also. Smoke at 250. Occasionally add whatever wood chips you want. This is the best recipe I have found. Hope that helps a little!
"You can get a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it?"
LAspeckiller
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 pm

I almost always brine mine before a smoke...and I prefer Pecan, Maple, Apple and White Oak or a combination. :thumbsup:
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby Morning Flight » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:49 am

This blog post was from a few weeks ago. I had been wondering the same thing. I haven't tried this yet, but I have tried a bunch of other recipes and methods from the site.

http://honest-food.net/2011/12/27/how-t ... oked-duck/
Morning Flight
hunter

Postby Grebe Slayer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks guys....appreciate the tips!
Grebe Slayer
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking