What should I have in my kitchen/pantry??

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

What should I have in my kitchen/pantry??

Postby huntall6 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:58 pm

What are some good things to keep on hand around the kitchen/pantry? throw in some ideas for spices, meats, herbs, canned ingredients, pasta, vegetables, or anything else that you usually try to keep in stock in your kitchen.

*Edit: this would make a good sticky!
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Re: What should I have in my kitchen/pantry??

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:17 pm

If you have a rural king store in your area, they have an excellent selection of spices for about a dollar a bottle. Get one of each, put them in the pantry in alphabetical order and you will always have them. I also keep a big bottle of cajun seasoning, assorted marinades, cheap bbq sauce, Lea & Perrines Worcestershire sauce, Olive Oil, and Uncle Joes sauces. This is just a basic list but it allows you to make recipes without having to go get everything. Of course, some of the Indarecipes your not going to find the ingredients in these parts, so fake it!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Tcjfowler » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:51 pm

TONY CHACHERES!!!! it is the best cajun spice hands down.
Wack em and stack em
Tcjfowler
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:46 am

My list is looooong.

What kind of food do you like to cook? We have a mashup of cultures here so we cook a lot of different stuff.

Probably the most important things you can have around is a decent homemade soup stock and a demi glace.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:51 am

Be careful with all of that stuff though, most of it is VERY high in salt and when you combine them, forget it....
Get Onion Powder, not Onion Salt. Same with garlic powder.
Here's another one, every time you get a pizza, ask for a side of red pepper. That stuff is expensive and they will give you a little tin for free, next thing you know, you have a cup or two.
Same with Duck Sauce at the Chinese place.
You'll need a good quality Olive Oil (Philippo Berrio) regular, the Extra Virgin is too rich and earthy....
I get a bag of onions every few weeks and a few heads of garlic....
Typical spices, but again, watch the sodium on mixed spices like rubs and stuff..
You add a teaspoon of rub in a bowl to a few tablespoons of Olive Oil, then dump in your chicken. Stir it all up with your hands, cover over night. It stretches the rub, you use less, less salt and great for the grill or pan...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Mon May 28, 2012 7:05 am

well stocked pantry can be ruined if you dont have the right cook. Make sure your wife/GF/Mother or whoever is cooking understands proper seasoning. I have tasted some cooked meals that were ruined by someone who cant"taste" what they are cooking. Nothing like haveing awild game meal messed up by over doing the spices.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking