Is Coot worth a hoot?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Is Coot worth a hoot?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 pm

I was talking to a guy and he was talking to a guy and the guy told him that if you haven't ate a coot you don't know what your missing, is it true?
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Re: Is Coot worth a hoot?

Postby Tcjfowler » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Its basically like any other diver, if they have been eating alot of fish they will taste bad. I think you know what your missing :lol3:
Wack em and stack em
Tcjfowler
hunter

Postby retired » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 pm

I use to make jerky out of them years ago. But I would soak them in milk or salt water for a couple days to take the mud taste out of them. Poor duck season this year in Calif. It got be thinking about shooting some coots again for sausage making. Retired
retired
hunter

Postby bugman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Yes, coot can be good. As said before, soak the meat in milk for a couple of days, or brine them. They're harder to kill than advertised so don't think you'll get gobs of them. If you want to try some coot, register for the advanced hunter education seminar on Game Care and Cooking. It will be held this coming August 4 in Diamond Springs. Besides learning a lot you'll leave with recipes of all sorts. You can access info by going to www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/advanced.
bugman
hunter

Postby WCTaxidermy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:12 pm

I shot one once just to see what they tasted like. Have never shot one since. Tasted too strong for me.....John
WCTaxidermy
Newb

Is Coot worth a hoot?

Postby Coleman24 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:01 pm

The Inda brothers would definitely be good to talk to. I wasn't sure about it either but now I will target them, every one that I ate were good.
Coleman24
hunter

Postby Cliner » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:00 pm

Tcjfowler wrote:Its basically like any other diver, if they have been eating alot of fish they will taste bad. I think you know what your missing :lol3:

Coots aren't diver ducks. They eat the same thing Mallards, teal, pintails, etc. They eat grain, seeds, etc. They aren't bad to eat, just make it like you would a mallard and it's fine. We shoot them everytime we get the chance. I have a buddy that walks through standing corn like he's pheasant hunting to flush them out to shoot them during that mid-morning lull. He always comes back with 5-6 of them :lol3:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking