Duck Hunting Forum banner

Pecan Crusted Duck Patties

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Hunt'Boy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Glad your playing with the syrup swamp, I use it more for cooking than i do pancakes.

#4 ·
Swamp, you have a smoker, one that will smoke fairly cool, 160 ish?

#6 ·
We take pork loin, add some tender quick to maple syrup and rub it down, bag it, sometimes add a little pepper, let it cure a few days and it smokes up into an amazing Canadian bacon

#7 ·
Have used maple syrup and cherry juice on duck breasts also.....different, not a great but definitely should experience ;)

#9 ·
Yes, don't have a true cold smoker but in the winter with our big chief we can get real close to a true cold smoked duck, think smoked salmon for locks.

#10 ·
And I think with some playing around it could become a great

#11 ·
jehler said:
Yes, don't have a true cold smoker but in the winter with our big chief we can get real close to a true cold smoked duck, think smoked salmon for locks.
Best cold smoker ever is one made from an old upright freezer. :thumbsup: small fire box in the bottom, flue on top, racks to put meat on...easy to wipe out with bleach water... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ugly as hell...but highly functional my friend!!! :yes:

#12 ·
Very familiar with these swamp, common around here. Guys have them with the smoke box over ten feet from the freezer box an run the smoke through a ice chest to cool it so they can have a true cold smoke to smoke and cure without any cooking at all. Try a YouTube search, I'm on my phone, if I'm on the desktop later tonight I'll post a link

#13 ·
jehler said:
Very familiar with these swamp, common around here. Guys have them with the smoke box over ten feet from the freezer box an run the smoke through a ice chest to cool it so they can have a true cold smoke to smoke and cure without any cooking at all. Try a YouTube search, I'm on my phone, if I'm on the desktop later tonight I'll post a link
never thought about taking the fire box out and piping the smoke in....HMMM.... :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Can't find a vid swamp but imagine your smoke generator, as simple as a hot plate in a pot with a pan of chips in it. On the lid of the pot you cut a four inch hole and mount some dryer pipe to it. You run this dryer pipe to your smoker to get cooler smoke. Have seen guys drill a hole in both ends of an old broke cooler so get can run the dryer pipe through that and cover it with ice. You can smoke cheese, prosciutto, salmon locks....

#15 ·
jehler said:
Can't find a vid swamp but imagine your smoke generator, as simple as a hot plate in a pot with a pan of chips in it. On the lid of the pot you cut a four inch hole and mount some dryer pipe to it. You run this dryer pipe to your smoker to get cooler smoke. Have seen guys drill a hole in both ends of an old broke cooler so get can run the dryer pipe through that and cover it with ice. You can smoke cheese, prosciutto, salmon locks....
:thumbsup: Cool! (figuratively and literally... :lol3: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.