Duck Hunting Forum banner

Indaswamp's Goose Breakfast Sausage

29K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  tmclaimerFL 
#1 ·
I used the meat from two snow geese we had in the freezer and need to get rid of. I did not expect this sausage to taste this good!! I have about 4 lbs. of Canada goose breasts taking up space and I'm probably going to make this again with it.

Goose Breakfast Sausage

16 oz. Pork Boston butt cut into 1" cubes
~16 oz (4 med.-lg. goose breasts) cut into 1" cubes
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 ~ 1 1/2 teaspoons of rubbed sage (as much as you like. I used ~ 1 1/4 tsps.)
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or more, I did add just a touch more)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon msg (such as Accent flavor enhancer)
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (taste test first-the flakes I had were a little weak, so I added additional ground red pepper)
3 TBSPS Maple syrup
3 TBSPS Rendered Bacon fat

Clean goose breasts of visible shot, fat, and sinew. Cube breast and place into a medium sized metal bowl (It's best to have goose breasts frozen, only slightly thawed enought to cut into pieces.) add cubed pork and all remaining ingredients mixing well with each addition. (the chilled meat will solidify the bacon fat) grind a sample pattie and check seasonings by frying on medium heat (watch carefully as maple will burn over high heat). Adjust seasonings, mix, then grind into a metal bowl. It's best to keep in refrigerator covered over night (this allows the herbs and spices the blend well into the goose meat. ), and serve the next morning with grits and eggs... :thumbsup:

***EDIT****
Just finished making a second batch from the canada goose breasts I had. ended up with 12 lbs. of sausage for da Indacamp this season. :thumbsup: Two tips-
1. mix your spices up in a small food processor first before adding to the meat. Sage clumps together very easily and is hard to spread evenly. the salt will coat the leaves and separate them allowing them to spread easily. Also, If your red pepper flakes are big, the processor will take care of that.
2. the maple syrup I used this time around was thicker that last time. I should have tasted it first. If I had-I would have used less. So-check your syrup! If it is thick, use less and adjust on the back end after trying the sampler patty.

See less See more
#5 ·
janicedale said:
Some kind of taste like chicken sausage?? :smile: I hope I can serve this also for my family for breakfast.Another interesting recipe to do.:)
I never said it tastes like chicken....but if you like Jimmy Dean's maple sausage-this one is very close to it. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Just finished a batch. came out very good. I used a different brand of Maple syrup this time and it was a little thicker. I should have tasted it first because it is sweeter than the first one I used. oh well....
Also, a tip- mix the spices up in a small food processor and blend thoroughly. Sage is very clumpy and if you process it, the salt will help break it up and it will spread easier. It will also mill the pepper flakes to a smaller size if your flakes are big. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Let the sausage sit in the fridge after adjusting the seasonings...man it turned out awesome!

here's the ratios I used:
4.5# canada goose meat
5.5# pork boston butt (50/50)
2# hickory bacon

Seasonings:
1/4 c. kosher salt
1/8 c. parsley
1/8 c. + 1/2 TBSP rubbed sage
1/8 c. cracked black pepper
1 TBSP dried thyme
1 TBSP crushed red pepper flakes
1 TBSP ground coriander seed
1 TBSP MSG (Accent)

Adjustments I made after sampler patty was tested.
Added:
3/4 c. plain bread crumbs (helps tighten up the sausage and keeps the maple syrup in when frying)
1 TBSP. + 1 tsp. rubbed sage
2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

put in spice grinder or food processor to blend...

***edit*** Also, it was a little dry so added about 1/2-3/4 cup ice water so it would stir easier and feed into the grinder easier.

#14 ·
aunt betty said:
Little off topic...My mom bought me a half-gallon of maple syrup. Came in a really nice tin can.
It tastes like a tin can too. What a bummer.
use it to cook with...and make some sausage. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Last batch I made was the best batch yet!

here's the ratios I used:
8# canada goose meat
10# pork boston butt (50/50)
3# hickory bacon

Seasonings:
1/2 c. kosher salt
1/4 c. parsley
1/4 c. + 1 TBSP + 2 tsps. rubbed sage
1/4 c. + 2 tsps. cracked black pepper
3 TBSP + 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves ( if using ground thyme leaves, cut this in half)
2 TBSP + 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 TBSP ground coriander seed
2 TBSP MSG (Accent)

****all level measurements!!
put in spice grinder and grind for ~10-12 seconds

total weighs 246 grams. this is enough seasoning for 24 lbs. of sausage. I pulled out 24 grams of seasoning since I was making 22#'s (pull out 12 grams per pound of total meat weight.-brain fart on my part as I divided by 22 instead of 24, but that little bit did not make a difference. It should be 10.25 grams per pound.)

1 1/4 cups maple (adjust as necessary, syrups vary with sugar content)
1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs
3/4~1 cup ice water

I ended up with 22# of sausage.

#25 ·
Boocephus said:
Wow swamp... that looks really good! Gotta make me some, I was trying to come up with something new with what I have. You da man :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: I like it. We cook it a lot while at the camps. My advice is to mix up the seasoning for the full 24 lbs. of sausage then weigh the total. divide that by 24 and then multiply it by how ever much meat you are going to use. you can always make a community batch with friends pitching in some meat...or give away the seasoning to friends...

also- keep in mind that not all salt weighs the same. coarse kosher salt weighs 12g per TBSP. while fine table salt weighs 22 g per TBSP.

I use coarse kosher salt. so 1/2 cup would be 96 grams of salt. If you use something else like table salt, measure it out by weight.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Swamp, I made my batch finally. Sample patty was pretty good and seasoning amount was nearly spot on. Should have grabbed a second bottle of maple syrup since one didn't quite make the cut, but I'll survive. Looking forward to breakfast patties and biscuits and gravy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425760951.703524.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425760960.052886.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425760967.219596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425760975.770520.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425760992.620016.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.