"Sous Vide" Wild Duck Breast...

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm going to try this soon using wild duck breasts (no skin). I plan on coating the breasts with a little olive oil before seasoning and sealing with our vaccuum sealer.
When I pull it out of the water-coat lightly with honey and sear in a very hot pan...then finish with my orange lquor and black cherry sauce. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: "Sous Vide" Wild Duck Breast...

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:53 pm

...I'm gonna go 2 hours in the water at 135* Because that is what is most often recommended from What I have read.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:16 pm

You sure about honey before the sear? Seems it would just burn. Also, how much you think the sear heats up the internal? Wondering if 120 or 125 wouldn't be a better temp???
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Re:

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 pm

jehler wrote:You sure about honey before the sear? Seems it would just burn. Also, how much you think the sear heats up the internal? Wondering if 120 or 125 wouldn't be a better temp???

the sear is on a super hot pan....hotter than you were going to just cook the ducks and for go the "Sous vide" water bath.
The sear is for a crust and just crusts the outside layer. The heat does not penetrate...it's a fast sear, 20-30 seconds. The honey helps give a nice sweet caramel color...at least that's what I'm learning. And 135* is suppose to be perfect for ducks to break down the tough tissue.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Let me know how it goes, after I saw the sous vide thing at my customers I googled it and read up quite a bit, duck breast is the first thing I thought of. I am out but would consider buying a damned duck to try it if it's good

I agree with the 135, just wonder how fast it will heat up internally on the sear with no skin..... I'm sure even if you hit medium well it would still be tender, damn I wish I wasn't out I duck
jehler

Re:

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

jehler wrote:Let me know how it goes, after I saw the sous vide thing at my customers I googled it and read up quite a bit, duck breast is the first thing I thought of. I am out but would consider buying a damned duck to try it if it's good

I agree with the 135, just wonder how fast it will heat up internally on the sear with no skin..... I'm sure even if you hit medium well it would still be tender, damn I wish I wasn't out I duck

I'll keep you posted jehler. We are packing up for turkeypacolypse so the Duck Sous Vide will have to wait until I return. I am looking forward to trying it; and I got a lot of duck to cook! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby slowshooter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:04 pm

It's pretty easy to build a sous vide device on your own just google the term with DIY.
Shouldn't cost you more than 100 bucks and some time with a soldering iron.

I have thought about doing some duck but the technique sort of keeps meat at an exact temp not allowing it to cook out completely.
The problem I see is that by putting a piece of duck into that process you don't cook it short but you might not get the benefit of cooking it long - so you end up with liver flavored duck.

Maybe more tender but that's about it.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:28 pm

slowshooter wrote:It's pretty easy to build a sous vide device on your own just google the term with DIY.

I have thought about doing some duck but the technique sort of keeps meat at an exact temp not allowing it to cook out completely.
The problem I see is that by putting a piece of duck into that process you don't cook it short but you might not get the benefit of cooking it long - so you end up with liver flavored duck.

slow, most duck doesn't get livery until medium well, as long as you don't go hot why would you think it would get livery?
jehler

Re:

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 pm

jehler wrote:
slowshooter wrote:It's pretty easy to build a sous vide device on your own just google the term with DIY.

slow, most duck doesn't get livery until medium well, as long as you don't go hot why would you think it would get livery?

It won't.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby slowshooter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:47 pm

When I cook duck really for a short or long (meaning it's stewed or braised) period of time it usually comes out without liver flavor at all. But that wide gap between the two is where liver flavor appears - at least in my kitchen.

Sous vide sort of seems pointless to me with duck. If you cook it short then you don't need sous vide. If you cook it long you don't need it either. If you are planning to keep it at a temp for days and never let it get past rare.... Why bother? Just cook it rare and be done with it.

With a cut of meat that doesn't have as many turning points to yuck? Then sous vide would be something that would work to keep steaks and the like at the perfect degree of doneness for any reasonable length of time.

I eagerly await real kitchen results though.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:15 pm

It's the high temps from traditional cooking methods that give the liver flavor-not the cooking time. if the meat is kept under ~140* no liver flavor will develope, but the meat will become tender. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby slowshooter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Around here liver flavored ducks are more common as the migration gets into full swing (Dec-Jan). The reason is that that ducks that are deep into their migration are loaded with myoglobin. A wild duck will alway have more myoglobin than a farm duck... But when they have just spent a week moving down from Canada it's a pretty noticeable flavor - no matter what the temperature you cook.

If there is a lot of myoglobin even beef will get a liver flavored tinge.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Sous Vide strip steak...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking