shags

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

shags

Postby flight control » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Anybody ever eat a cormorant? What would be the best way to eat it? :biggrin: I know what kind of answers ill get but it would be interesting to hear a first hand account of someone who has eaten one.You never know, they might be all thats left to eat once the zombies take over :grooving:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Re: shags

Postby Fatback » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:22 am

I heard they taste just like any diving duck, remove skin !! breast out , brine overnight (google a good brine recipe for your taste)...dry , season (Chopped fresh rosemary, parsley, Salt / pepper sear) in pan, finish in hot oven to a internal temp of 140. rest, slice and serve, if it taste like crap use more aggressive seasoning, or a sauce. It's Shag season here, no limits, Lead shot...and there's a pile...thinking the same thing you are :lol3:
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby flight control » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:04 am

So someone else from N-B eh? Yeah I was thinking shoot a few dozen for saussages.I have about 10 lbs of merganser meat for saussage and I cant immagine shags being any different.Shag destruction is lots of fun, no limits, no closed season(except about a week around moose season)
Fatback wrote:thinking the same thing you are

Ill try it if you do :biggrin:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Fatback » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:58 am

LOL, I've shot em but haven't gone out for them on there own....you can't hunt tidal water except anything above "falls" in SJ so that gives a lot of options ....there's a pile out in the harbour right now, and i'm thinking about making a few deeks out of lobster buoys painting em black, of just bringing the shotgun when i'm fishing ....where are you at flight control?
Fatback
hunter

Postby flight control » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Im in kent county right on the northumberland strait.Ive used plywood sillouettes before with great results,so they will decoy.Any bass up there yet?

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Fatback » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:11 am

Got some plywood just hanging out in the shed...how do you float em? Ya waters low and getting warm, heard few guys doing alright with em... ihav't be out for them yet, only got out once for trout...but think a Bass and Blast on the river is in my future ! :thumbsup:
Fatback
hunter

shags

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Hey guys, I have never personally hunted them but know a guy that with the help of a few buddies wiped out 1500 in a morning. Fr what he told me these birds are creatures of habit, if you can find there roost and set up between it and the feeding grounds they are using (small island or point). The pass shooting can be outstanding ;)
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby flight control » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:43 pm

What I did was find a place where they land on a beach to dry their feathers,flushed them ,stuck my sillouettes in the sand and got ready.They would come in in pairs spaced out about 200 yards and just kept coming :biggrin: .Blew through 10 boxes of shells real fast. If you want to float them look up eider sleds in the decoy forum.You can make them so they stack together and they would not take much room in the boat.

Yeah jehler they are pretty predictable,they follow the same flight path to and from the roost and they use the same beaches to dry off every day.Ive also found that shotgun blasts will not deter them from joining their friends on the beach.Its like crow hunting only they are bigger and dumber :yes:

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Fatback » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

What sort of roost are you looking for?
Fatback
hunter

Postby flight control » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:56 am

In late afternoon, sit by the river and wait for flight after flight after flight, all going the same direction.Follow them,whether in your car or boat and you will find where they spend the night.here its a small island made of old ship balast in the harbour.They will also perch in trees for the night.It might take a few days to find the roost but if it gets dark before you figure out where they are going,start there the next day and follow them again.If you can set up on the roost ,well lets just say there will be substantial loss of life.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Fatback » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Wicked ! that what i was wondering, i thought i've seen trees with crap al over them...i just didn't know if they just dried feathers or if they sleeping for the night. I can see some scouting coming up real soon....then :hammer: em!
Fatback
hunter

Postby flight control » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Just remember to look for the main roost. Look for hundreds, not dozens. They pile up like firewood on the roost island here, probably 1000 in an area no bigger than an average house.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

shags

Postby jehler » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:29 pm

Dead on, you can find the roosts her by looking for islands without any living vegetation
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Fatback » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Do they like to be in more protected areas (islands on inlets, bays) compared to open ocean (ledges, rock islands... etc) when they roost?
Fatback
hunter

Postby flight control » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Im not sure if they roost in open ocean,they dont have waterproof feathers like ducks so they may have to spend the night somewhere dry.

The only roosts that I know of are fairly protected areas,like the Island in the harbour,a small stand of spruce where we launch our boat on a small marsh, and I suspect there is a breeding colony on a bog here, why else would they be flying into a bog?

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 pm

That what it seems...flying in from ocean....flying out when i see them up river...gotta get out in the boat!
Fatback
hunter

Postby flight control » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:02 pm

fatback,use google maps to find shag rocks.

That might be a good place to start looking :yes: They actually look solid black,from shags maybe? :eek:

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking