Canadian goose recipes?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Canadian goose recipes?

Postby redsled600 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:22 pm

I have a freezer full of honker breasts still and i wanna try something different other than the usual jerky..... any suggestions?? Thanks!
redsled600
hunter

Re: Canadian goose recipes?

Postby aunt betty » Tue May 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Tried quite a few ways and this is what I found best:
Slice your goose breasts 1/4" thick or as close to that as you can
Season with salt and pepper or whatever you like (or not)
I like to dunk the slices in teriaki sauce
Cook on a hot charcoal grill two minutes to a side and it's done.
It will taste like steak.
If you cook it too long it will taste like liver. It's better to be a little under-cooked than over-done and livery tasting.

Someone will top this recipe with one that's similar but with cheese and hot peppers stuffed inside :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby redsled600 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Mmmmmm that sounds good, I'd like to hear someone top that
redsled600
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue May 22, 2012 8:59 pm

How about Goose Stroganoff? easy and good.

Slice like before (1/4 inch thick) and then slice again into 1/2 wide strips. (or whatever size, who cares?) Anyway cut the breasts into strips like finger steaks and then lightly saute them. If you want you can lightly flour them first. When lightly cooked, set aside in a separate dish.

Then, using the fry pan with all the juices, saute a diced onion till it begins to clear, then add sliced mushrooms with whatever else you like (garlic, cilatro, parsley, peppers). When that's done spoon it out and add to the goose breasts to set aside, keeping as much fluid as possible in the pan.

Next add some butter and a container of sour cream plus whatever else you want to make a white sauce like for Beef Stroganoff (perhaps some cooking sherry or brandy, a tablespoon of honey, a dash of cayenne). Serve goose over egg noodles and pour sauce over top.

A possible shortcut is to skip the onion and use a packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix as the seasoning base for the sour cream (or yogurt).

Anyone got a good recipe for whole plucked Specks?
I've heard some say they like to stuff the cavity with sauerkraut and slow roast at 250 for hours, but I've never tried it and hate the possibility of overcooking them. Suppose I could just use a digital thermometer.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed May 23, 2012 7:03 am

Slice into strips as above, season & lightly flour and brown in a bit of oil in a pot. Remove strips once browned and make sauce in pot with a bit of flour as a rue, add tomato sauce, mushrooms and seasonings like garlic, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper and bring to strong simmer. Add breast strips back in and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Serve over wild rice
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed May 23, 2012 8:27 am

THE BEST~!

Gently hammer the breast with a mallet to break it down a bit and thin it.
Fill a large bowl an inch or two with all sorts of left over condiments that you want to empty out.
A little BBQ sauce, some old salad dressing, a shot of orange juice, a little beer, some tobasco, a shot of duck sauce, anything you have and like.

OR

Just buy a cheap bottle of oil and vinegar Italian dressing to make it quick (store brand)

Stir it up, drop in the goose cutlets and zip-lock it over night.
Put the meat on a HOT grill and cook it as you would a thin steak.

Potatoes, veggies and garlic bread....

Rib eye from the sky!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking