Is there any easy way to pluck a duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Is there any easy way to pluck a duck

Postby yakima hunter » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:44 am

i shot my limit yesterday and i spent like 2 hours plunky ducks with a buddy. ALso is it worth to pluck the whole duck or just do the breasts because i got a cookbook and there are some whole duck roasts is it work to pluck the whole duck.
yakima hunter
hunter

Postby MICAH » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:53 am

CUT THE BREAST OUT AND GET IT OVER. THIS IS THE ONLY THING WORTH EATING.
MICAH
hunter

Postby Hooked_On_Ducks » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:11 am

I couldnt agree more, take the breast meat out and you are done!!!

:thumbsup:
Hooked_On_Ducks
hunter

Postby jet » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:20 am

ive seen people dip the birds in hot wax and then they let the wax dry and the feathers just came right off when the started to pluck the birds.
Last edited by jet on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"a good time being wasted is not wasted time"
jet
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:20 pm

just buy a plucker machine they heve them in cabelas. i mostly just breast mine. but plucked birds roasted are very good.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:50 pm

Pluck the mallards for roasting. Skin and breast everything else. :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

what to keep

Postby gracenjohn » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:59 pm

breasts get jerkied

legs go in the crock pot for stew

wings from geese go in crock pot for stew
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby TXwaterfowler » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:11 am

Theres no real easy way to pluck all them feathers off easy and quickly but when you breast them cut off their legs and get that drumstick those little legs are nothing but muscle and make a great fried dish
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:53 pm

I bought one of the darn duck pluckers from cabelas. :pissed: I tried it on a goose and it would not do it. I had to still pluck it by hand and use it to clean the small stuff off only. Then dip it in 150 degree water to get it off the leading edges of the wings. It did help on the legs though.

It had feathers going everywhere. The drill was even sucking them up. I breathed one in my nose and had a fit then switched to my mouth and almost swallowed one then almost puked. :eek:

I thought that was enough of that!!
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:57 pm

archeryrob- can you take a quick video of that next time and post it for us? That sounds pretty comical!

Did you try turning the drill to spin the other way maybe?

:toofunny:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:27 pm

imo that plucking stuff is too hard i just breast all my birds. but for those who like the plucked bird taste (which i have not tried) but a plucking machine
josh
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:26 am

Oh, it did not matter what direction that thing was spinning. Waste-o-money machine. It's good for final clean up on several birds to clean the small stuff off and I like it for that.

Glad you like that. It almost looked like it was snowing and I was afraid it was going to damage my hammer drill. I don't know how feather down will affect a motor and brushes, but I was not interested in finding out and the $300 plucker was out of my budget!!!!!!!!!!!
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SLAMMINERIE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:05 pm

GRAB THE DUCK BY THE FEET AND STEP ON THE WINGS PULL THE FEET IT STRIPPS THE FEATHERS OFF :salude:
SLAMMINERIE
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:57 am

3:00 AM in the morning and the dogs are barking at me because I'm laughing at archeryrob!! TOO FUNNY!!! :toofunny:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:51 am

archeryrob: that is funny :laughing: . I'm glad that I'm on a prep period as I'm reading your post! Kids would think I'm nuts.
That dipping in parafin is a good idea. How big a vat, how much water, how much parafin? One gallon, one slab of parafin per duck? Per goose?
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

How to pluck a duck

Postby Triggerman » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:48 am

The only easy way to pluck a duck is to have the wife do it for you :toofunny:

Now, talking seriously for a sec, try hanging your ducks for a couple days before you pluck them (of course, it will depend on how cold it is where you live).

If you let the ducks hang for a few days, the job becomes easier - no need to mess with boiling water or wax. The rule-of-thumb is to hang your ducks for few days (by the neck) and then pluck the tail feathers. When they come off easily, the duck is ready to be plucked.

I'm in WA, and have left ducks "hanging" for as long as 4 full days after the hunt, without any ill effect. You'll be amazed by how cold the meat is when you clean that duck.

EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE:

1. If you get a warm weather spell, you need to clean the ducks immediately.
2. If you shot your duck in the lower part of the body (gut area), you need to clean it the same day you shot it, because a gut shot will spoil the meat fairly quickly, regardless of how cold it is.

Of course, I hardly ever have that problem, since most of my kills are head shot :getdown:
Triggerman
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:31 pm

My self I just dry pluck them.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:05 pm

rub your thumbs to get the feathers off then cutt along the breast bone cut the tendons and just eat the breast forget the wax and boiling water stuff.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Wingshooter » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:10 am

I peel skin off feathers and all, if im doing geese i'll chop the wings off with sawzall then peel skin (hopefully). i usually breast the geese but never the ducks too tasty .
Happiness is a warm gun wet dog.
Wingshooter
hunter

Postby Blindman » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:01 pm

Once you get the hang of it, you should be able to pick a limit (7) ducks in about an hour; this doesn't include gutting. I've found that it helps to use latex gloves that are available at farm stores and probably at a lot of drug stores. Buy the box of 100 to keep the cost down.They help to grasp the feathers for the initial plucking and then by rubbing the down with your thumbs, it rolls right off. When I get to the gutting, the gloves are nice, since you can rinse your hands under the faucet before doing the next duck. Keeps all the junk out from under yuor fingernails also. The most fun is the shooting and the eating; never met anyone who claimed they shot ducks for the thrill of cleaning them!
Blindman
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:11 pm

I just breast them even though I was told that is illegal too just breast and disguard the rest but o-well
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:50 pm

jet wrote:ive seen people dip the birds in hot wax and then they let the wax dry and the feathers just came right off when the started to pluck the birds.

Heard of that, we just breast em.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:06 am

HuntMQ1 wrote:3:00 AM in the morning and the dogs are barking at me because I'm laughing at archeryrob!! TOO FUNNY!!! :toofunny:

I am glad you all enjoyed it. I would not get a duck plucker unless a vaccum was attached to it. The only birds plucked around here are by my wife for her family as they want them plucked. I think after last year she told them they can have some breasts as she is tired of it too.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter25 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:29 pm

:salude: WARM SOAPY WATER IS THE QUICK AND EASY WAY TO PLUCK EM. JUST PLUCK AND RINSE IN CLEAR WATER. EASY TO DO. TO MUCH MEAT TO WASTE JUST BREASTING, ESPECIALLY ON A GOOSE. :cool:
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:09 am

Not if you breast and leg them. That's my aproach now. Breast go to the wife and legs in a zip lock for goose stew or chili.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking