Liver

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Liver

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:38 pm

I've searched the forums and Google but can't seem to find a good answer. I typically just keep the breast and legs from my birds(duck and Canada goose) but this year I want to start collecting other parts. I love chicken liver, and any other liver I have ever tried(beef and pork), is duck and goose similar? Is there a difference between duck species in taste? Also, are there any other parts you normally keep besides the ordinary? Thanks to anyone that can help!
Eric Haynes
hunter

Liver

Postby jehler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:58 am

Hearts are great
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Re: Liver

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:37 pm

jehler wrote:Hearts are great

ditto! the livers from wild ducks and geese have a strong flavor...you gotta really like liver to appreciate it. When we save the organ meats, we pull out the gizzards, hearts, and the livers to make dirty rice at the camp. my aunt made some goose liver pate' one time and it was good...but not great.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Liver

Postby jehler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm not a liver fan, don't know how to clean a gizzard, you'll have to hook me up swamp
jehler

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:24 pm

jehler wrote:I'm not a liver fan, don't know how to clean a gizzard, you'll have to hook me up swamp

not a problem...we sometimes par-boil the gizzards Lobes in a little water and creole seasoning for 30-40 minutes to tenderize them, then let them cool and wrap in bacon to throw on the grill. they make great appetizers! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

ditto! the livers from wild ducks and geese have a strong flavor...you gotta really like liver to appreciate it. When we save the organ meats, we pull out the gizzards, hearts, and the livers to make dirty rice at the camp. my aunt made some goose liver pate' one time and it was good...but not great.

I have honestly never had a gizzard of any sorts. I've tried producing one myself while cleaning a duck but couldn't figure it out. I have had goose liver pate, but it was from a domestic farm raised goose. I do really like liver, a lot, but I guess I would have to try a few to find out. I'm just trying to get away from the "just taking the breast" attitude and going towards using as much as I can.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:29 pm

ericrhaynes wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

I have honestly never had a gizzard of any sorts. I've tried producing one myself while cleaning a duck but couldn't figure it out. I have had goose liver pate, but it was from a domestic farm raised goose. I do really like liver, a lot, but I guess I would have to try a few to find out. I'm just trying to get away from the "just taking the breast" attitude and going towards using as much as I can.

SAVE THOSE LEGS AND THIGHS!! Jehler can back me up on that...to me it's the best part of the bird!!! :yes: Especially in Sauce Piquant!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Liver

Postby jehler » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:26 pm

ericrhaynes wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

legs and thighs are my favorite part of the bird, even if your skinning them.
jehler

Postby flight control » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:56 pm

I save all my legs, thighs, hearts and gizzards,and freeze them in ziplock bags. When the bag is full, I make Fricot. My oldest daughter loves it and will actually beg me to make it.

I hate throwing away any part that is edible, I feel I owe it to the bird. I have tried livers but found them very strong, Inda gave me a tip on cleaning them so will have to try again.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:16 am

Goose liver is the best. I usually save up a big bag of it and then have it for dinner with bacon on the side. I just flor and pan fry it and it's so tender it melts in your mouth. I did make pate one time however anything that uses 1lb of butter and 2 pints of heavy whipping cream I now stay away from, however it was delicious also........mmmmm mmmm good :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:32 am

How to clean a gizzard...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:38 am

we put the livers and gizzards into the stuffing when we roast ducks. The hearts are for me. MINE!!!! :biggrin:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:39 pm

This could be a little off subject, but screw it, I started the thread anyway.

When I hear of everyone saving all of these tasty parts, all I can think is, How?

Early goose season usually sees 20-40 Canadas in the back of my truck every time out. Not that I'm proud of it, or feel good about it, but this is the reason why I usually just breast them out, and save the legs occasionally. Is there a faster way to it? A cleaner/neater way?

I know how long it takes me to clean 40+ Canadas by simply breasting and legs, I can't imagine saving everything, although I'd like to.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby flight control » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:04 pm

when the bird is breasted and on its back, grab the tail with one hand, stick your fingers under the breastbone and pull up. All the tasty parts are now exposed.

I usually remove the gizzard and cut off the lobes. with a little practice, you wont loose any more meat than the guy in the video.Takes about 20 seconds.

Then remove the heart, cut off the fatty part at the top and split in half for washing the blood out. Takes 15 seconds tops.

The livers I can't comment on because I have only tried them once or twice and apparently did it wrong.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:18 am

flight control wrote:when the bird is breasted and on its back, grab the tail with one hand, stick your fingers under the breastbone and pull up. All the tasty parts are now exposed.

I usually remove the gizzard and cut off the lobes. with a little practice, you wont loose any more meat than the guy in the video.Takes about 20 seconds.

Then remove the heart, cut off the fatty part at the top and split in half for washing the blood out. Takes 15 seconds tops.

The livers I can't comment on because I have only tried them once or twice and apparently did it wrong.

^^^this^^^^
and the livers-you gotta be very careful to not bust the gall sack..it's dark green/purpleish and its very bitter. if you bust the sack, don't save that liver, skip it and go on to the next bird. after a while you'll get the hang of it.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Liver

Postby Duck_Popper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 am

flight control wrote:when the bird is breasted and on its back, grab the tail with one hand, stick your fingers under the breastbone and pull up. All the tasty parts are now exposed.

You should make a video this season of you doing it. Just a thought. Could help a lot of people. Myself included.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby flight control » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:35 am

Will do if I remember, maybe give this thread a bump when the time comes

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Liver

Postby Duck_Popper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 am

flight control wrote:Will do if I remember, maybe give this thread a bump when the time comes

Will do.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby SDGooseHunter » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:30 pm

I love the livers! We cook them and the gizzards in a frying pan with bacon, sautéed onions, and a little bit of garlic powder. What wouldn't be good cooked like that! Goes great with a cold brew or two...or 10. :beer:
Life is short, shoot some guns.
SDGooseHunter
hunter

Postby Fatback » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Two words "Foie Gras" .... One of the best tasting things in the world, but i think it might be Banned in the US now, so don't get caught with it ;)
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby calamari » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:40 am

Early goose season usually sees 20-40 Canadas in the back of my truck every time out. Not that I'm proud of it, or feel good about it, but this is the reason why I usually just breast them out, and save the legs occasionally. Is there a faster way to it? A cleaner/neater way?
Your heart's in the right spot and your conscience is telling you what to do. There's two ways to know what your "limit" is. One is what the law allows and the other is what you can take care of properly by utilizing all the food the bird provides.
There are so many great ways to utilize the "guts" and Dirty Rice is one of the best and something I look forward to every year. Soy, Terriyaki, and other Asian sauces add lots of options. Use a chicken liver Marsala recipe over rice for another great dish. It's hard to get enough hearts and gizzards cooked to make the table if you flour and fry them. They get eaten out of the skillet first. I've got to go wipe my chin.
calamari
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking