looking for Ideas

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

looking for Ideas

Postby flight control » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:33 pm

I have two geese left in the freezer and was thinking it would be cool to make some sort of sandwich meat for my lunches at work. I was thinking a pastrami kind of thing,marinade in something,covered in seasoning and smoked. Any one have any Ideas/recipes?
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Re: looking for Ideas

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 pm

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby flight control » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks Swamp,those sliders look great for feeding my GFs family wild game without them knowing it,something I have done many times :yes: Her sister was going through our freezer once, pulled out a package of duck breasts,and asked with a disgusted look on her face "What is this?"
I told her they were duck breasts.
"You feed that to your kids?"
All I said was "yup", but I felt like saying "My kids , your kids, you, your mother ......" but I didnt,I do enjoy having them over for meals.

While browsing that site I found a recipe for corned beef ( or game ) and that is a little more what I was looking for. I had found a recipe for pastrami that started with corned beef and now that I have the recipe for the brine, I should be able to try this out! :beer:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:45 pm

We used to just make jerky out of our Honkers, but stumbled upon the easiest, best recipe imaginable to make it taste just like fine roast beef.
Garlic pepper rub. Seasoning salt, a touch of liquid smoke, any other rubs you prefer. Cover with onions.

Here's the secret. Put it in a bowl just big enough to "stuff" the breasts in so they don't stick up above sides, and the juices can't move away from meat. Cover the bowl 'tightly' with foil three times. Put in oven at 250* for 5 1/2 hours! That's right..... 5 1/2 hours!
Absolutely delicious. Very, very tender and juicy!
It "WILL" come out just like roast beef! No 'FLYING LIVER' taste at all.

If you want to add part of a can of some type soup, it can only get better.
Once you've done the above, it'd be pretty hard to ruin it!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Not sure if this is the type of recipe you are looking for, a smoked goose or duck that should save after cooking for some time and allow you to make sandwiches over several weeks.

http://honest-food.net/2011/12/27/how-to-make-smoked-duck/
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking