spaghetti sauce

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

spaghetti sauce

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 am

8-9 pounds of ripe Roma tomatoes
3 green bell peppers
3 yellow onions
8 garlic cloves

Blanch the tomatoes after first slicing a small cut into each tomato. The cut makes peeling them easier. Blanch them until the water boils and that's long enough. Then put them into a sink full of cold water.
Peel them and throw away the peelings. Cut them into pieces as best you can and save all the juice.
You should end up with a gallon of tomatoes that are cut up and skinned and some juice.

Cut up your garlic, onions, and peppers and put them into a large pot with the tomatoes & juice.
I add a tablespoon of sweet basil and 1/2 teaspoon of mexican oregano. (optional)

Cover and simmer for two hours and then put into quart mason jars. Then boil them in a home-canner for 5 minutes..

I can a lot of sauce like the way I described above.

Later when I open a quart of sauce...I'll add 1 lb. of browned ground beef, a small can of tomato paste, and a small can of mushrooms from the store. It's way better than anything you can buy. Grow some Roma tomatoes next year and try it. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Re: spaghetti sauce

Postby wvlippo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Ever can your own salsa?? Trying to figure out what to do with some extra tomoatos that arnt Romas.
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The amendment that guarantees all the rest.
wvlippo
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking