Gumbo question

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Gumbo question

Postby abmcp13 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:33 am

To all of you that make Gumbo, when I make it, should I be able to taste the roux in the final product?
Go afield with a good attitude, Walk with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. -Fred Bear
abmcp13
hunter

Re: Gumbo question

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 pm

abmcp13 wrote:To all of you that make Gumbo, when I make it, should I be able to taste the roux in the final product?

no. you have to cook it long enough so the roux cooks in. the darker the roux, the longer it will take to cook in.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby abmcp13 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks Swamp, I don't have much experience in Cajun cooking, obviously, but the food is too darn good not to learn how!
Go afield with a good attitude, Walk with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. -Fred Bear
abmcp13
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:54 pm

abmcp13 wrote:Thanks Swamp, I don't have much experience in Cajun cooking, obviously, but the food is too darn good not to learn how!

after you put the roux in and bring it to a boil, stir it in good...stir the bottom to keep the roux from sticking. taste it every 15 minutes and you will know when it has cooked in...that's the best way to tell until you get a feel for cooking with roux. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby abmcp13 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Thank you Mr. Swamp, I will keep that in mind the next time I make Gumbo!
abmcp13
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 pm

abmcp13 wrote:Thank you Mr. Swamp, I will keep that in mind the next time I make Gumbo!

bring it to sa boil for 5-10 minutes, then reduce to simmer and let it cook in good...taste it every now and then and you'll know when it cooks in, it will mellow out smooth as silk. All the bite will disappear. Plus- Gumbo is always mo betta da next day! :yes: :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby abmcp13 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 am

Indaswamp wrote: Plus- Gumbo is always mo betta da next day! :yes: :thumbsup:

This! I found that even though I could taste the roux a little bit right out of the pot, the next it tasted way better! Thanks again for all your help Swamp! :bow:
abmcp13
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am

I have a big pot of snow goose breasts boiling now for goose, shrimp n sausage gumbo. About to cookPp someroux.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby send the dog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:36 pm

As with a a great ettoufee and a gumbo, the roux will be your backbone of these dishes. The longer and slower that you cook your roux, the better and more depth you will add. This is so important not to rush, it will take on a "nuttier" flavor and is absolutely worth your time to do it right.
send the dog
hunter

Postby jared850 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:08 pm

You're makin me hungry. I love makin gumbo. Unfortunately I can get one of the key ingredients in my gumbo outon the west coast. Conecuh sausage!!!
Goat Rope
jared850
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Sorry guys, but what is this roux you speak of? I was thinking of making gumbo sometime. Sounds good.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby jared850 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Swamp can confirm this but I believe it equal parts flour and oil. Then in a heavy cast iron pan you SLOWLY brown it until its the color of a red brick.

The easiest way to do this is in the oven at approx 300 degrees, whisking every 10 minutes or so.

The darker the roux the better the flavor.

Once done you can add your veggies and stock. Just be carefully and add slowly or you could get a violent eruption.

Hope this helps!!
Goat Rope
jared850
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 am

So wait, its like a pie crust??
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Gumbo question

Postby talltimber » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 am

You got the oil, flour, and cast iron skillet part right. Stove top, med high heat, and stir it constantly. You let one speck of flour burn and you've rurnt the whole thing. Start over. That's how I do it anyhow. And I would describe the color as varying shades of caramel
talltimber
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:49 am

here you go peeps...

cajun rouxs are darker than classical french rouxs. For a dark brown roux which goes great with wild game, cook it until it is the color of a dark tarnished penny. remove from heat and keep stirring while the pot cools to prevent burning. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jared850 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:51 am

talltimber wrote:You got the oil, flour, and cast iron skillet part right. Stove top, med high heat, and stir it constantly. You let one speck of flour burn and you've rurnt the whole thing. Start over. That's how I do it anyhow. And I would describe the color as varying shades of caramel

Oven method is also used. Learned that from Alton Brown. While I disagree with some of his gumbo recipe I like this part. It makes it easier to not burn the roux. As talltimber noted you burn one spec and you have to throw out the whole bacth Since the temp is pretty steady and even in the oven, not concentrated on the bottom of the pan it makes the roux much easier not to burn.

http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/recipe/35896

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling wrote:So wait, its like a pie crust??

No, since your using equal parts and stirring often it won't ever become crispy. Also Alton measures flour by weight so you may add a little more oil. And I do mean very little.
Goat Rope
jared850
hunter

Postby send the dog » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Butter, butter, butter in your roux. No oil please. also, finish a true gumbo with File Powder.
send the dog
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 pm

send the dog wrote:Butter, butter, butter in your roux. No oil please. also, finish a true gumbo with File Powder.

HMM...you've obviously never had a gravy with a roux made with Bacon fat. :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jared850 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:36 pm

I love gumbo and how everyone has their own recipe their passionate about!!
Goat Rope
jared850
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Oven method is also used. Learned that from Alton Brown. While I disagree with some of his gumbo recipe I like this part. It makes it easier to not burn the roux.

That makes sense to me. I don't know if I would have the courage to try it though. :lol3:
talltimber
hunter

Postby jared850 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Give it a shot! I find it much easier!
Goat Rope
jared850
hunter

Postby send the dog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
send the dog wrote:Butter, butter, butter in your roux. No oil please. also, finish a true gumbo with File Powder.

HMM...you've obviously never had a gravy with a roux made with Bacon fat. :wink:

I'll give you the bacon fat for sure, anytime you can use that for anything it will be awesome. I was trying to steer people away from using vege, canola, grapeseed, etc.
send the dog
hunter

Postby daffy... » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 am

Indaswamp wrote:

bingo. roux can be any fat. duck fat and bacon being my favorite.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Humpbackshooter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:25 pm

bump. need the directions.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:04 am

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking