WHO SAID COOT DID NOT TASTE GOOD

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

WHO SAID COOT DID NOT TASTE GOOD

Postby WOODIE13 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Cooked up some coots that my nephew took last year during youth season. Just unthawed them, cut them lengthwise in 1/2" strips, covered with water, added 2 teaspoons of AC vinegar and let soak for 30 minutes. Did them up with some rendered bacon, onions, garlic, green peppers, pine apple, soy, terryaki, oyster sauce and a little sugar, side dishes of some home grown green beans, maters and some ramen noodles with minced clams and cheese. First time I ever cooked coot, but it was great, the grandsons attacked it.

WOODIE13
hunter

Re: WHO SAID COOT DID NOT TASTE GOOD

Postby Fowlhunter22 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:34 pm

I would have to agree with you I try to shoot my limit every time I go they make great poppers.
Fowlhunter22
hunter

Postby vanover » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:35 am

You only had to soak them for 30 mins? I normally have to soak divers way longer to make them taste good. This is very interesting.
vanover
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:39 am

Well I'll stick my neck out and maintain that coot still doesn't taste good but all that stuff you added to them does! :lol3:
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:41 am

RustyGunz1960 wrote:Well I'll stick my neck out and maintain that coot still doesn't taste good but all that stuff you added to them does! :lol3:

:lol3: :lol3: I was thinking the same thing.

I had some guy telling me the other day that he takes goose breast cuts them in 1/4'' slices and just grills them and he was trying to tell me that they taste good. Sure............... :huh:
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:56 am

BenellisbeII wrote:
RustyGunz1960 wrote:Well I'll stick my neck out and maintain that coot still doesn't taste good but all that stuff you added to them does! :lol3:

I had some guy telling me the other day that he takes goose breast cuts them in 1/4'' slices and just grills them and he was trying to tell me that they taste good. Sure............... :huh:

Goose is good you just have to know how to cook them. Trust me thats about all i hunt. I have cooked geese more ways than you can ever imagine. Although it isnt good to just throw in the crockpot its very good other ways man... trust me. Its no wooduck or teal dont get me wrong but the way i cook goose its pretty awesome man!!!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:02 am

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling wrote:
BenellisbeII wrote:

Goose is good you just have to know how to cook them. Trust me thats about all i hunt. I have cooked geese more ways than you can ever imagine. Although it isnt good to just throw in the crockpot its very good other ways man... trust me. Its no wooduck or teal dont get me wrong but the way i cook goose its pretty awesome man!!!

I've never found a way to cook them that they dont have a gamey taste to them. All mine end up going to jerky or sausage. I save the ducks for the frying pan.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby Fatback » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:56 am

"Gamey" = flavour .... We have created a society of people that are if fear of flavour .... Ya got to stop trying to think that wild fowl/game is a factory produced Meat king chicken and you have to cover up/ hide "Gamey-ness " for it to be edible. Pan Seared Goose Breast with salt and cracked black pepper is wicked thing... as long as you don't cook the crap out of it leaving tasting like an cross between liver and old leather boot.It's Not the product with the problems...it's the cook on the other end not knowing what he's doing and ruining others opinions on waterfowl one over cooked meal at a time or someone that has an uneducated palate thinking that "This doesn't taste like chicken" ..... Coot rocks!
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:22 am

Fatback wrote:"Gamey" = flavour .... We have created a society of people that are if fear of flavour .... Ya got to stop trying to think that wild fowl/game is a factory produced Meat king chicken and you have to cover up/ hide "Gamey-ness " for it to be edible. Pan Seared Goose Breast with salt and cracked black pepper is wicked thing... as long as you don't cook the crap out of it leaving tasting like an cross between liver and old leather boot.It's Not the product with the problems...it's the cook on the other end not knowing what he's doing and ruining others opinions on waterfowl one over cooked meal at a time or someone that has an uneducated palate thinking that "This doesn't taste like chicken" ..... Coot rocks!

You sir, are a man of good thoughts... I totally agree with you, in all honesty. I would much rather eat wild game over store bought stuff any day... I love gooose and agree with you about the whole tasting aspect. I like the way you think man!! I love geese... they are a blast to hunt and taste good also! No not as good as a woodie or teal etc but way better than store bought crap. "Meat from the store makes me nervous" ( Phil Robertson). LOL
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:40 pm

i shot one on accident. the looks of them are to creepy for me. i feed it to my staff in chili :biggrin:
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby calamari » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Fatback wrote:"Gamey" = flavour .... We have created a society of people that are if fear of flavour .... Ya got to stop trying to think that wild fowl/game is a factory produced Meat king chicken and you have to cover up/ hide "Gamey-ness " for it to be edible. Pan Seared Goose Breast with salt and cracked black pepper is wicked thing... as long as you don't cook the crap out of it leaving tasting like an cross between liver and old leather boot.It's Not the product with the problems...it's the cook on the other end not knowing what he's doing and ruining others opinions on waterfowl one over cooked meal at a time or someone that has an uneducated palate thinking that "This doesn't taste like chicken" ..... Coot rocks!

This makes me feel better about being a member of this forum. Don't blame the product, blame the cook if it doesn't taste good. I don't notice any difference between a Snow goose and a Mallard except they have less fat out here.

daffy-"i shot one on accident. the looks of them are to creepy for me. i feed it to my staff in chili"
This is weird on several levels. How do you accidentally shoot a coot? Water sluicing a cripple or was it in self defense? If so, OK, but creepy? Creepy in a scary sort of way or...?
calamari
hunter

Postby Fatback » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:20 am

Or the " Ducks greasy!" comment often heard by the person that thinks nothing of whacking back a bucket of KFC :fingerhead:
Fatback
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 am

I'm that guy who says slicing goose breast 1/4" thick, grilling 2 minutes per side and eating it is really good.
Tastes like steak. This thread seems to be somewhat controversial.
I'll try eating a coot, I guess. :beer:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby sportsman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:16 am

I think you forgot the to mention the step where you take the coot out of the dish and eat whats rest.
sportsman
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:26 am

im done listening to people tell me that goose, buffies, etc is no good to eat. fire the cook

i eat it ALL and go for seconds. never tried coot or merganser yet but i will give them a try this season. hell, ive eaten crow and it tasted good to me.

you know what they say, "hunger is the best sauce"
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Ive had it all. Coot and merganser. I have buddies that frown on me for eating anything that dives for its food. Ive had hoodies, commons, scaup, buffies, coot. It all is the same and if you know how to do it nobody can tell a difference. Now this doesnt mean I like to go out and shoot a limit of coots if the ducks arent flying but if I want meat I wont hesitate.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 am

Even a tird will taste ok if you cover it with 56 ingredients.

I have no opinion because i have never tried coot. I have had armadillo though, my pops pulled a fast one on me as a kid.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Cant say Ive tried turd or armadillo or any other rodent or furbearer for that matter.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Coot are very good eating. I cut the breast into 1 inch pieces, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. Then saute' lightly with some butter. Very good!!!
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:07 am

Can we just take a moment to grasp that someone said they ate crow? I give you credit for bravery alone on that one. How did you cook it?
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:42 am

I think he meant he ate a piece of chocolate that was shaped like a crow. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby TomKat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am

Thats all fine and well.....but you have never lived life until you have had the sauted backstrap from a first year coyote. I like to cook mine in with chopped onions and celery seed.

Don't knock it till you have tried it!

TomKat
Dorothy

Postby richyrich307 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Got some coot this morning. Sittin in some water and vinegar now. Anybody got any recommendations?
richyrich307
hunter

Postby Fatback » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Don't soak it in vinegar ..... unless your making coot "ceviche" :thumbsup: ...follow the guy with the 3 ingredients sautéed in butter for best results!
Fatback
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Well I pulled them out and just sauteed them up in butter with some of cabelas open season seasonings. Still tasted like liver. Am I cooking it too long? or maybe I should be cooking thinner strips? Any ideas?
richyrich307
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking