Duck Hunting Forum banner

smoked salmon?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mr bill 
#1 ·
looking to get some good smoked salmon recipes... want some good blind snacks for this season... never really tried it before... hard to pull crap off the net while trying to wade thru all the crap... lookin for some tips from a bunch of good ol boys...
usually my wife and i like our things sweet/salty/spicy... but any ideas are appreciated...

#2 ·
cut tail piece of cus it cures and cooks faster. i do a 50/50 kosher salt and sugar cure. usually use brown and white sugar. i had seasonings like thyme rosemary pepper corns. brush fish with gin then roll all those ingridents in plastic wrap and let cure for a min of 24 hours but usually takes like 3 days. rinse off cure and let set in fridge uncover to get a slack like finish. i then brush the salmon with gin again and put a heavy coat of black pepper on the fish. no need for salt cus the cure was salty enough.

smoke as you prefer. hot or cold. for wood chips i like apple. also black tea leaves work great for trout and such. burns up fast so i mix it with fruit wood.

#4 ·
This is the only way I do it now.

I speck out the meat with a lot of care - no dark meat, no bones, no skin. I cut the meat into the small fairly thin peices 1/2 inch to 3/4 thick , maybe 2 or 3 inches long - as I don't like it to thick. I marinate the fish chunks in a large bowl of pure maple surype for TWO days in the fridge. Drain the fish (don't rinse meat) I then rub the mixture of 5 parts brown sugar / 1 part koser salt / two dribbles of liquid smoke mixture on meat, set out on the racks for an hour to glaze over. Then I smoke the fish in my Little Chief smoker.........

The second part of the process is the "normal" way, with brown sugar/salt rub ........but I love Maple. I have done it where I only let it set one day in the fridge...and it's good........but TWO days is GREAT!! But we like things sweet. Real maple surype is increduably expensive....but well worth it.

Donna

#5 ·
1 cup of non ionized salt
1/2 cup brown sugaur
1 quart of water

mix it up

Place salmon in the brine for 6 hours or overnight in fridge. Take salmon out and rinse off the brine and set the salmon out to dry (pat dry with towel) at room temp. When the salmon has a glaze on the meat its time to smoke ( about 30 - 40 minutes).

Place salmon in smoker with alder chips. Depending on smoker type the salmon can take 20 minutes to 3 + hours to cook.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.