best yardbird you ever eat

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

best yardbird you ever eat

Postby ARDuckBuster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:23 pm

Since it is that time of year when you have to dig deep into the freezer to find that duck breast or venison I thought I would throw out a recipe for something a little more domestic.
Go down and get two whole chickens. I don't marinade them in anything, but you could if you want. Wash them off real good and let dry or pat dry. Take some Lowery's Seasoned Salt (Red Salt) and a little salt, pepper, and crushed cayenne pepper(if you like it hot). Mix all ingredients and dry rub it on the chicken.
Get a fair sized fire going in the smoker. You can use wood, charcoal, etc. Open two cans of beer and put on the smoker. I let the beer warm up, but you don't have to. Bring out the chickens and set them down on the beer legs down. The beer will be up in the chicken. Prop them up steady and cover for about 4 or 5 hrs. Keep the fire going pretty decent.
Take them off the smoker and enjoy some "drunk" chicken. You can eat the skin like a potato chip. MMMM Good. :thumbsup:
If you like you can use Pepsi or Coke instead of beer. It will give them a sweeter taste. Was thinking of trying that on a duck this year.
ARDuckBuster
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:02 pm

Or a 40 oz and a turkey :toofunny:
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:18 pm

that is what everyone in NC calls a drunk chichen :getdown:
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby MoHunter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:30 pm

called beer butt chicken

don't forget to baste with beer/seasoning mix.
"Here's the deal...I'm the best there is." -Ricky Bobby
MoHunter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking