Favorite way...

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Favorite way...

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:01 pm

We all know when times get tough its down to bush whackin woodies :p... they are beautiful and one of the best if not the best eating duck. So whats everyones favorite way to cook wooduck... Lets hear um!!!

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Favorite way...

Postby Coleman24 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Either pluck it or if we breast it out we pull the feathers and keep the fat/skin on the top of the breast.. Dry it out a bit or marinade it, add some seasoning, and fry it up in a pan.. The skin adds some crisp, and more flavor.
Coleman24
hunter

Re: Favorite way...

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:16 am

Sweet man... we kill a lot of wooducks USUALLY and always do it the same way every time so i was looking for some interesting recipes we could do to switch it up a bit. Thanks bud!!!

hunter

Postby send the dog » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Duck schnitzel with spatzle covered with a mushroom/sour cream brown gravy and red cabbage.

Cut breast meat (of any puddle duck) in 1/2 inch strips, pound thin, season with salt and pepper, at this point you could then dust with flour then fry in lard (or vege oil) this would be considered Jaeger (yay-gr) Schnitzel. However, i take a few steps further to create Weiner (vee-ner) Schnitzel, after dusting with flour, then add them to an egg-wash, then press into bread crumbs and fry in lard (or vege oil). These should take no longer than 3-4 minutes per side.
Sautee up some fresh mushrooms, add a jar of brown gravy, 2-3 tbsps of sour cream. heat through.
Sometimes i'll make my own spatzle or you can find it at the store.
Red Cabbage: in a lrg pot, cut and cook 5-6 strips of bacon, drain half of the grease and save, add thinnly sliced head of red cabbage, sautee till tender, add more bacon grease if needed. in a seperate container mix 1/2 cup apple-cider vinegar and 1/2 cup sugar (adjust the vinegar and sugar mixture to your tastes) add this to your red cabbage and let simmer for at least 1/2 hour or longer stirring often.

All this may seem like a pain, try it once and let me know what you think. As a chef, i have had duck many different ways and this is by far my favorite. (the girlfriend even eats it and she is very picky when it comes to waterfowl).
send the dog
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Sweet man thanks, sounds good to me. I will give this a try sometime when i have all the ingredients man!!
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking