What do you do with the dead ducks?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

What do you do with the dead ducks?

Postby Rudso » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:42 pm

I always wondered what do hunters do with their ducks after the hunt. Do you guys wait till you get home and put them on a grill and if you do where do you keep the ducks till you get home? I remeber watching a duck hunting show and theis two hunters would shoot at least 20 ducks and I always wondered what do they do with them after.
Rudso
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:32 pm

I take em home and fillet the meat off the boat and freeze it with a little water. I usually let em soak in a bowl of water, in the ice box, over night, to get most of the blood out. :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Rudso » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:57 am

So what would one do step by step right after the bird hits the ground to the bird sitting on a grill?
Rudso
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:01 am

There used to be a thread on here with pics but i cant find it. Heres what you do.

When your hunting you shoot the ducks. After your done hunting you bring them home.

With your thumbs on the ducks breast press in and upwards pretty hard until the skin and feathers come off. Then take a knife. Cut on each side of the breastbone as close as you can to it all the way down until the meat ends. Then you stick your fingers in the cut and lift out the meat. Eat the breast and its a hassel to take the legs and stuff off so dont mess with them.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Rudso » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:11 pm

I will try my self to search for that site with pics you mentioned. So hunters only eat the breast on the duck? Plus, how dose pressing upwards on the ducks chest with your thumbs make the feathers and skin come off? Do you do a cut somewere first? AND during the hunting trip do i have to keep the ducks in a cooler or is it ok just to keep them the way they are with out going bad.
Rudso
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:36 pm

they shouldnt go bad during the day, but you should pluck or breast them as soon as you get home just to be sure :thumbsup: i'll try to find the link on how to breast a duck also...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:37 pm

Its alright to keep them where they are on the hunting trip. It wasnt a different site with the link someone posted pictures here.

You just put alot of pressure rubbing up on the chest of the duck and the skin comes off because of it. Sometimes its really hard.

Most people only eat the breast because its to hard to get everything else.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:39 pm

jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:47 pm

Thanks jjohnson for some reason i couldnt find it. Everyone cleans it different. Fowlercon cuts a hole puts his fingers in to take the skin off. I rub it off. His way seems easier especially for ringnecks and bluebill whose skin is harder to get off.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby slimey limey » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:31 pm

but what if your on a 3 day trip?????????????????????????? and in a hotal????????????????????????????????????
slimey limey
hunter

Postby TooTall » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:37 pm

:withstupid: Clean the ducks in the motel sink!

:toofunny: JK

Alot of motels have a hose out back where we clean our birds. The one we stay at will freeze your birds for you. 90% of their customers are hunters though.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:37 pm

field dress them in the sink and put the meat in the little fridge :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:53 pm

:withstupid:

Sounds good to me. Or try to keep them as cool as possible since theres probably not a freezer in a motel.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby slimey limey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:04 am

if i put them in the fridge they will fill the bag with blood never seen a freezer in one of them fridge , some one out there must have been on a 3-4 day hunting trip ????????????????
slimey limey
hunter

Postby TooTall » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:34 am

If its cold out side, just gut them and put them in a paper bag in the back of your truck/boat. Same as putting them in a freezer. Or take a cooler with you and just put the duck breasts into a plastic bag in the cooler with some ice. Be creative, your a duckhunter you have to have some creativity in there somewhere :umm:

It dosen't really matter how you do it as long as you keep the meat below about 40 degrees.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Lol i just realize that i put my ducks in a fridge not a freezer.

Youll be fine. I breast the ducks then put them in a bowl of water with a little salt and leave them in a fridge for a day or a couple of days. It gets the gamy taste out. Then i put them in a bag and into the freezer.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby wigeon1040 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:37 pm

I kill em and grill em
Its the only way to do it :laughing:
wigeon1040
hunter

Hunting Trip

Postby Minnesota » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:03 pm

There are a couple things you should remember if you are on an extended trip. One, field dress all the birds immediatly after the hunt. Second, when transporting you birds you must leave a wing and head attatched(at least in MN, ND) You can't travel with a bag full of breast meat. Third, you must remain within the possession limit. If you shoot a limit on day 1 and day 2, eat half a limit each night if you want to attempt another limit on day day 3. I store my birds in a cooler - with or without ice depending on the temperature.
Minnesota
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:31 pm

:welcome: Minnesota, thats a great tip to remember. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby gone winchester » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:10 am

wigeon1040 wrote:I kill em and grill em
Its the only way to do it :laughing:

:toofunny: dido :laughing:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Re: Hunting Trip

Postby Boomn4x4 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:06 pm

Minnesota wrote:There are a couple things you should remember if you are on an extended trip. One, field dress all the birds immediatly after the hunt. Second, when transporting you birds you must leave a wing and head attatched(at least in MN, ND) You can't travel with a bag full of breast meat. Third, you must remain within the possession limit. If you shoot a limit on day 1 and day 2, eat half a limit each night if you want to attempt another limit on day day 3. I store my birds in a cooler - with or without ice depending on the temperature.

Similar in Ohio, except it's a fully feathered wing OR head. What I have done (an old time taught me this, don't try it with teal or dove) is lay the bird on it's back and put one boot on the neck just above the breast and another boot on its @ss completly coving its leggs. From the side closest to its feet, take two fingers and press them into the breast cavity, get a good grip and pull straight up. It will tear the breast bone with meat still attached out leaving the head, and leggs. You wil have two fully feathered wings and breasts to transport.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby TooTall » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:20 pm

So, Rudso, to sum up.

1) you shoot the bird
2) the bird is retrived
3) the bird is put on a stringer, in a vest, or put in the boat
4) Once the hunt is through you transport the duck to the house usually in the same thing it was put on or in after being shot.
5) If it was a good or memorable hunt, you take pictures with the hunters and their bag.
6) The birds are cleaned (plucked, gutted, breasted, etc.)
7) The birds are frozen or put in marinate.
8) The birds are cooked in one of many different ways
9) The birds are eaten and the hunt is complete.

Hope this answers your question.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking