Skinning Divers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Skinning Divers

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Does anybody have any tips on how to skin Divers. Been shooting for two years now and haven't found a easy way to prep them for the table. BlueBills,Cans, and Reds are easy but the Goldeneye's and Buffies are ridiculous. I can't seperate the skin/fat from the meat. Got any help?
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!

Cody
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Re: Skinning Divers

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Best way I've done it is pluck the breast real quick then cut em out like u would normally then take your fillet knife and fillet the skin off... Easiest way I've found. Or just pluck em and throw em on the smoker for a couple of hours with a good rub... We do the fillet method to ringers which can't be easier than buffies and goldeneyes lol
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Re: Skinning Divers

Postby flight control » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:04 pm

X2 on the filet method. I usually pluck my divers but fillet mergansers in this manner. The skin seems to be glued onto these ducks.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking