Anyone know a good chili recipe for duck?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Anyone know a good chili recipe for duck?

Postby RNTduckhntr12 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:53 am

I haven't decided if duck chili sounds good or not. I got selected for a chili cookoff at work today and all the co-workers are city slickers that haven't ever eaten duck. They want a duck chili. HELP!?
Whack em' and Stack em'!!
RNTduckhntr12
hunter

Re: Anyone know a good chili recipe for duck?

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:43 pm

I could see the meat becoming VERY OVERCOOKED doing a chili - unlike beef/hamburger I think that could be a deal breaker.
Last edited by CLAYBREAKER22701 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter

Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Postby RNTduckhntr12 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks CLAYBREAKER22701. I agree with ya on that one. Decided to go with deer. simple and sweet
Whack em' and Stack em'!!
RNTduckhntr12
hunter

Postby Deadpointoutdoors » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

I found that if you ground up the duck meet ( Teal and wooduck) and let it slow simmer in the chili for an hour or so it comes out pretty great .
Im a big fan
Dead Point Outdoors season total= 3 wood ducks , 6 mallards , 16 ring neck , 17 geese , 6 wigeon , 2redheads and 8 teal

This years goal =150 birds
Deadpointoutdoors
hunter

Postby sebastianred » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:16 pm

I've only made this with goose as I have much more access to good goose hunting than duck hunting here. I'm sure it would be great with ducks. The family looks forward to it every year.

With the goose, its important to slice the meat thin before cooking so it will eventually get tender.

ROAST GOOSE CHILI

1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
1 Garlic Clove (Minced)
1 Cup of Onion (Minced)
2 Cups Cubed Goose Breast
1 (16 oz) Can Tomatoes
1 (16 oz) Can Chili Beans
1 Cup Green Bell Pepper (minced) I actually use 1 cup of minced red and yellow pepper too
1 Bottle Beer
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
½ Teaspoon of Salt
1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
½ Teaspoon of Dried Basil
1 Teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce

First slice the meat very thin, tenderize, than soak in milk in the fridge for an hour or 2. (Or overnight if you like)
Then melt the butter in a skillet and brown the onion, garlic and peppers then set aside. Then add a little more butter or olive oil to the skillet and brown the goose.
Now combine the onion, garlic, peppers and goose in a crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients listed above.
Cook on low for 8-12 hours.

At some point while it is cooking, melt some butter in a skillet on medium and stir in a little flower to make a roux (sp) should look like cookie batter. Stir in approx 1-2 teaspoons of roux into the chili. (As it cooks, this will cause the chili to thicken.)
Once you stir in the roux, let it cook for another hour or 2 before eating.
After 8 total hours in the crock pot it will be ready, however the longer it cooks the more tender/better it gets. Once it gets past 10 hours or so, you should check every hour or so b/c it will burn eventually. I tweak the recipe slightly every time just to try new stuff. But so far this is my favorite.
If you like it hotter, you can add a slice or 2 of jalapeno pepper to the crock pot when you add the other ingredients.

The Beer: Its funny b/c I really don’t like the taste of beer by itself, but it really does seem to help the recipe. We use a lager like a Yengling, etc
sebastianred
Newb

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking