Steel BB Detection? Method?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Postby Yonkers » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:47 am

Hi All,

Unsure if this is the proper forum to post this, if it is not mods please move as needed.

I am fairly new to waterfowl hunting the last couple years and have decidd I really prefer to turn all my ducks and geese into jerky. I prefer to grind it and use a gun/dehydrator.

I have messed up (ruined) a couple cheaper grinders because a steel BB got passed my inspection and lodged in the grinder and stripped / cracked the gears. I have since bought a much nicer grinder (Cabelas commercial).

Is there a good method / device I could pass over the meat (all layed out in a single layer before grinding) that would beap if there are any BBs present? I read an article somewhere online stating a person used a stud finder to do this. I tried my stud finder (cheap craftsman model) and it did not beap when passed over a steel BB.

I have no issue buying something to do this just would like a little input before I start buying things to try. Was looking both at various stud finders and handheld metal detectors.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Yonkers
hunter

Re: Steel BB Detection? Method?

Postby coruptone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 am

I set all of my duck or goose meat in the sink in salty water for a few hr to soak. Then i cut all the dark spots (blood shot) areas out cause this meat will be sour. I do all of my jerky in 10 lb batches and just cut it into strips and if you put it into the freezer for a few hr to help set the meat up but not frozen solid you can slice it up on a meat slicer and slice it up paper thin if you like. Most of my birds end up being finger stakes :thumbsup:
coruptone
hunter

Postby SOILhunter » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:34 pm

What about something similar to this? You may be able to find a cheaper version...or ask the CO if you can borrow his! Check this out on AMZN: Zircon MetalliScanner m40, Handheld Electronic Metal Detec... http://amzn.com/B000VKJ1MM
SOILhunter
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 pm

If you are grinding them why don't you just cut them up into small chunks, paying special attention to any shot holes or bloody spots? I hammer mine pretty thin so finding bb's is easy that way.
agengo02
hunter

Postby Cheyennehub » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:52 pm

where i can buy a handheld metal detector for gold hunting ?i am looking for a cheap price one just like the site detectorall because my money is not enough.this is my first time ,any kindhearted guy can teach me some hunting skills ?thank you
Cheyennehub
Newb

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking