Hooded Merganser

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Hooded Merganser

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:50 am

So my buddy shot this hoodie and gave it to me since he didn't want it. He also passes on coots, which I actually like. Being an adventurous carnivore, and a decent cook, I decided to try it out. I've been saving pork fat to make sausage for a while so I took one breast and mixed it with an equal amount of pork fat, and chopped it up. Put in a little salt, hot pepper, gran garlic, and Italian seasoning, chopped it up some more and made little sausage patties in the frying pan. I didn't want to over season since I wanted to actually taste the merganser meat.

Verdict: I found it very bland. It actually reminds of round eye beef. It didn't smell bad while cooking it. I put on more salt; this would be double what I put in originally, and it actually turned out OK. While it certainly isn't the best tasting, it isn't offensive. It just needs to be well seasoned. I wouldn't hesistate to kill one.

Next time I'm going to put more of everything I put into it. Hot dipping sauce wouldn't hurt.
snapshotmd
hunter

Re: Hooded Merganser

Postby scopolamine » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 am

Good for you. It seems many types of game and fish get labeled "ethnic food" in my area and folks won't try them. Specially the fish down here on the coast.

How do you cook your coots? I breasted 6 the other day and saved their legs. What do you keep on a coot and how do you cook them?
scopolamine
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:18 pm

I cook my coots just like any other duck. Trim the fat, marinade or whatever you like and grill.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:24 am

snapshotmd wrote:So my buddy shot this hoodie and gave it to me since he didn't want it. He also passes on coots, which I actually like. Being an adventurous carnivore, and a decent cook, I decided to try it out. I've been saving pork fat to make sausage for a while so I took one breast and mixed it with an equal amount of pork fat, and chopped it up. Put in a little salt, hot pepper, gran garlic, and Italian seasoning, chopped it up some more and made little sausage patties in the frying pan. I didn't want to over season since I wanted to actually taste the merganser meat.

Verdict: I found it very bland. It actually reminds of round eye beef. It didn't smell bad while cooking it. I put on more salt; this would be double what I put in originally, and it actually turned out OK. While it certainly isn't the best tasting, it isn't offensive. It just needs to be well seasoned. I wouldn't hesistate to kill one.

Next time I'm going to put more of everything I put into it. Hot dipping sauce wouldn't hurt.

I too have eaten a Hoodie. It didn't taste any different than a mallard around here IMO. Maybe I got lucky, but it was fine. I've still never tried a Common though.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Ive still never tried a Common though.

Commons aren't any different in my opinion. I don't hesitate to shoot em. Plus they are a larger bird so more meat.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby flight control » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:18 am

I go out and target mergansers several times a year. Nothing wrong with them.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:22 am

flight control wrote:I go out and target mergansers several times a year. Nothing wrong with them.

Agreed. When I go back to see my folks for holidays I always take a trip to the flats just to get two hoodies. Its just exciting to watch hundreds pour in to these tiny tidal pools.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:45 pm

We don't see many mergs around us but shot two hen hoodies last year, cooked them up just like any other duck and actually cooked one up along with a woodie and couldn't tell any difference between the two.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:22 am

im a chef and ive tried everything to make them taste decent. orange juice or sea water works best for me. taste like liver so i prepare it like liver... still usually let em pass cus they are so creep looking
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Toller_Atlas » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:59 am

Got one a a couple years ago. Not real common where we hunt. Was a little worried about it tasting nasty, and it sat in the freezer until the end of the season. we cooked it up with a couple of widgeons in a green chile stew. Treated it just like all our other ducks, brined and then frozen. Shouldn't have waited tasted great, could taste the difference from the widgeon, but it was good.
I sure am glad the dog keeps letting me borrow his truck.
Toller_Atlas
hunter

Postby ebitzan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:21 pm

i sure love me some coots :drool: :drool: :drool:
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff