Sausage from frozen meat

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Sausage from frozen meat

Postby snapshotmd » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to go about making and storing sausage from what I've accumulated in the freezer over the season.

I have several duck/goose legs/breasts in the freezer. I'm thinking that I would partially thaw the meat, grind it up with pork fat, season it, put it in casings, then throw it back in the freezer.

I know you're not supposed to re-freeze meat and I've never made sausage before. If the meat is thawed, do I need to cook it or smoke it, or can it go back in the freezer raw? Will salt work to prevent bacteria, or whatever happens to thawed meat?

How do you guys do it?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Re: Sausage from frozen meat

Postby MarkM » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:04 pm

We always smoke it before we put it back up to refreeze to prevent any sort of bacterial growth
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby flight control » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:47 am

I have only made sausage once, and it was great. I have a bunch of diver meat in the freezer to make another batch this year.

I made mine from frozen meat and refroze the sausage when done, I ate them all and i am still alive. I have read that the freeze thaw refreeze thing is because the freeze thaw breaks up the cell walls and the juices will run out of the meat, resulting in dry steaks or roasts and such. As long as the meat is handled in a sanitary manner you will be fine. Just remember, if you're not using it, put it back in the fridge and keep everything cool
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:55 am

no problem using frozen meat for sausage. I have done it numerous times, just be sure about proper handling prior to refreezing, watch those temps good and keep the meat chilled well during the process. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby slowshooter » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:57 am

What Inda said. Really watch those temps.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking