roast goose

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

roast goose

Postby pizzaman_288 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 am

How do you guys roast a goose I have one I shot the other day and would like to roast it what tempature do you guys cook it at and for how long do you cook it any help would be great thanks
pizzaman_288
hunter

Re: roast goose

Postby Yaaker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:35 am

I think low and slow is the best. Pluck it, and rub a bit of orange zest on the skin. Put some soaked apple wood chips over the flames too.
Yaaker
hunter

Postby flight control » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:14 am

Salt, pepper, rosemary and onions, cover the roasting pan with foil, not the cover, and five to six hours at 225-250. Thats how I do mine, making a goose and a turkey tomorow and the goose is always a bigger hit than the turkey. The only ones that "dont like goose" are the ones who never tried it
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby UFO » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm

I roast a small to medium whole goose in the oven hotter and for a shorter time than for a comparably-sized domestic goose, about 325 F for about 1 3/4 hours. Domestic goose can bear slow cooking to overcome its toughness, but wild goose is extremely lean and slow cooking can dry it out. For a big goose, you might want to carve it first for more even cooking, but the table presentation won't be as nice. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get enough drippings and blood for decent goose gravy, which would be nice with roast whole bird.

The best thing I have done, though, is to smoke the bird. I carve it first then use a propane smoker (and, heck, after all the money you've already spent, she's not going to get on you for spending $250 on the smoker :). Give it all the steam you can but use a little less wood chips than you would use for pork cuts or brisket. Charcoal would be harder to manage, but it would not create an inferno as chargrilling fatty domestic goose would. Shoot for around 300F for 2 hours.

I don't marinate it, just rub it with salt, pepper, oil, and garlic. In the over I sometimes put rosemary sprigs on it. Either way, while rare-to-medium wild goose is delicious, I'd recommend cooking it thoroughly d/t unpredictable parasites and microbes in wild birds.
UFO
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:34 pm

young birds get a salt and pepper rub and go into a 350 degree over till the digital thermometer says its just under med rare on the roast beef setting.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:19 am

I roast the goose in a plastic oven baking bag, a plucked goose with cut up apples placed in the body cavity. Then sprinkle on your favorite seasoning, put a table spoon of flour into the bottom of the bag, tie shut, place in baking pan and cut 6 slots in top of bag. Roast on 350 degrees. I use a meat thermometer when cooking the goose, stop when the temp. reaches 165 degrees. Goose shoud be cooked med. rare just like prime rib. When almost done, I cut the bag open, drain, and place the bird back in the pan and cut the broiler on just enough to crispen the skin to a brown color...complement the goose with wild rice and green beans plus some apple pie & ice cream and you have a meal fit for a king! :smile:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking