How to age duck?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

How to age duck?

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm

I have read about people aging their ducks. What is the best way to do it without the meat spoiling?
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Re: How to age duck?

Postby flight control » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Early in the season, I put breasts or cleaned whole ducks in the fridge. Later on I hang them in the wood shed. Usually 5-7 days but I have heard of others leaving them much longer. The best way to tell if they have spoiled is by smell. As long as you can smell the meat and not gag, its fine.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Ok thanks. When you put them in the fridge, what do you store them in?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby flight control » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 pm

I use a plastic bowl with a lid.

If you search this forum you will find a thread titled "aging ducks is awesome" or something like that. Lots of good information in there.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Alright thanks, I will check that out.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:22 am

rebelp74 wrote:I have read about people aging their ducks. What is the best way to do it without the meat spoiling?

I got this process off another forum so I can't take all the credit. I did it on goose and it turned out awesome. This was the first time I could eat goose like a steak and liked it. It should work with ducks too.

First, I always soak my game in vinger and water for a couple days. I used to do salt but by buddy from NC turned me on to vinger and I think it works better than salt. After a couple days of soaking and all blood has been remove from what you can tell I rinse with cold tap water and try and squeeze all the water out.
Next, I trim out all blood clots, fat and sliver skin. Pat dry and put them on jerky trays and place in refrigerator. I use the jerky trys b/c this will allow air to circulate through. I do this for 5 days and each day I flip them over and pat dry. After 5 days some of the edges might get a little hard and dark if you want you can trim these off.
Day 5 I either cook these or freeze them until I'm ready. I like slicing them thin add some steak seasoning and cook hot and fast. Like mentioned before these tasted like steak!!!
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 pm

duckblind1982 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I have read about people aging their ducks. What is the best way to do it without the meat spoiling?

I got this process off another forum so I can't take all the credit. I did it on goose and it turned out awesome. This was the first time I could eat goose like a steak and liked it. It should work with ducks too.

First, I always soak my game in vinger and water for a couple days. I used to do salt but by buddy from NC turned me on to vinger and I think it works better than salt. After a couple days of soaking and all blood has been remove from what you can tell I rinse with cold tap water and try and squeeze all the water out.
Next, I trim out all blood clots, fat and sliver skin. Pat dry and put them on jerky trays and place in refrigerator. I use the jerky trys b/c this will allow air to circulate through. I do this for 5 days and each day I flip them over and pat dry. After 5 days some of the edges might get a little hard and dark if you want you can trim these off.
Day 5 I either cook these or freeze them until I'm ready. I like slicing them thin add some steak seasoning and cook hot and fast. Like mentioned before these tasted like steak!!!

Definetly going to give it a try, thanks.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Fatback » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:35 pm

I hang by the neck un-plucked for 7 days below 4 Celsius
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:24 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
duckblind1982 wrote:

Definetly going to give it a try, thanks.

Your welcome let me know how you like it... Next go around I was thinking about soaking it in dales on day 4 and day 5 make kabobos.
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Count the candles on his birthday cake..... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 am

I forgot to mention. When you put them on the jerky trays then into the fridge cover with saran wrap. Just make sure you leave some corners up where some air can still get to them.
duckblind1982
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking