Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck Yakitori

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  onewayoranother 
#1 ·
What's up everybody, I don't post much but lurk around here all the time. Thought I'd share one of my favorite ways to prepare duck. It's called duck yakitori and is a nice change of pace from the monotonous flavor profile that comes with most of the traditional methods of preparing duck (bacon, jalapeño, creole seasoning, cream cheese, A1 sauce, etc...).

It's extremely simple and quick to prepare and tastes amazing. You will need:

4 duck breasts, skinned and taken off the bone
1 cup mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
8 green onions
Bamboo skewers soaked in water

- Combine the mirin, soy sauce, sugar, honey, and garlic in a small sauce pan. Boil the sauce until reduced by half and set aside, about 5 minutes.

- Get your grill going and the slice the breast meat into 1 inch cubes. Also slice the green onions into 1 - 1.5 inch pieces. Thread the duck cubes onto the skewers, alternating pieces of green onion in there.

- Brush the sesame oil onto the duck once the meat is skewered and toss it on the grill. While cooking, baste with the sauce you set aside earlier. Cook about 6 minutes on each side, the sauce should carmelize and glaze the meat nicely. You want to cook until the meat is firm, but still has a warm pink center.

I serve mine over fried rice with pickled daikon radish, but you could really do whatever you want with it at that point. I'm happy to provide pickling instructions for anyone who wants them.

P.S. - this is not my recipe, I jacked it from a friend who got it out of some wild game cookbook. Hope y'all enjoy it!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.