Pulled BBQ goose.

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Pulled BBQ goose.

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

I have recently heard or saw somewhere that people use ome sort of juice like apple juice or cider to make their pulled goose. Question is who has tried this and what is the purpose just for flavor? Does anyone like this recipe... does anyone have a GOOD recipe they can give me to make it? Also how much juice do I use... Do I cover the breast in the juice or just use a little on the bottom?

Thanks,

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Re: Pulled BBQ goose.

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:32 pm

I use fresh brewed dark coffee as my liquid, cook it in the crook pot with a cut up onion,add some pepper flakes if you want.

I also add some good fatty pork, like one to one ratio.

When you dump the liquid, take the pork and goose and pull it apart with fork on a cutting board.

Put it back into crock pot with your favorite bar b que sauce, re heat slow and low.

Serve it on fresh roll with some dill pickles and potatoe salad!!., yum...
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby flight control » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I also use coffee.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 am

I have only used fruit juices(cider, oj ect). I was always told the acid in the juice helps break down the meat. Everytime I have used these in the crock pot they come out falling apart... so does it really help idk it just works for me.

Does the coffee work the same way? Never tried it
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 am

I marinated mine (using stuff I had around the house) overnight then threw the goose breasts in a crock pot. Dumped a bottle of BBQ sauce, filled the bottle up with water and dumped that in - added enough water to mostly cover the breasts. Cooked it on low for about 6 hours. Let it cool down a little bit and pulled it with 2 forks. Very good way to do geese.
agengo02
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Well I did it. I went to the store and bought apple cider and thrw the breasts in and covere them in cider and cooked it for 8 hrs. Man did it just fall apart. I then added a bunch of sweet bby rays bbq and some spices. It turned ot very good actually. Good for goose!! :thumbsup:
hunter

Postby flight control » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:15 am

Did the cider add any flavor to the meat? Sounds good :thumbsup:
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am

Yeah man, you couldn't taste any goose flavor rlly! Il be making it a lot!!! :thumbsup:
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:58 am

Unless it is against your religion I would still add some pork, it just makes it even better, that's just me.

Glad you found a way to enjoy!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 am

duckblind1982 wrote:I have only used fruit juices(cider, oj ect). I was always told the acid in the juice helps break down the meat. Everytime I have used these in the crock pot they come out falling apart... so does it really help idk it just works for me.

Does the coffee work the same way? Never tried it

Yes coffee breaks down the meat, same way.

It's my experience that once you add bar b que sauce, that is what you taste, not coffee or cider.

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Yeah I actually like goose. I eat it a few ways I enjoy it. I mean, it is certainly no filet mignon or anything. But if you prepare it right it is edible. I also enjoy bacon wrapped chunks of goose grilled or fried. And also enjoy marinating them in Caribbean Jerk overnight and slicing very thin and breading it and frying it with some pepper and onions. Its great that way too! And theres a few more good recipes I enjoy. :thumbsup:
hunter

Postby loon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 pm

just made this with the coffee added a bit of pork too. It was great ! i will definately make it again
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby DucknGoodTime » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:17 pm

What cut of pork are y'all using? Pork loin?

Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm

don't waste your money on pork loin I usually can catch pork shoulders or butts on sale at the local store for 99cents a pound. I load up on them then cause they are great cheap fatty meat to mix with goose/duck/deer since they are lacking in fat which is needed for lots of recipes to turn out well. Plus the pork shoulders are great on there own to make pulled pork with. I rub mine with a sweet and spice rub let it sit overnight with it then put them in the smoker for a couple hours and then it goes in the crock pot till it will shread up.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:41 pm

handyandy wrote:don't waste your money on pork loin I usually can catch pork shoulders or butts on sale at the local store for 99cents a pound. I load up on them then cause they are great cheap fatty meat to mix with goose/duck/deer since they are lacking in fat which is needed for lots of recipes to turn out well. Plus the pork shoulders are great on there own to make pulled pork with. I rub mine with a sweet and spice rub let it sit overnight with it then put them in the smoker for a couple hours and then it goes in the crock pot till it will shread up.

Great! Thanks I'll keep a watch for it at the meat section.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking