HOW DO YOU GET ALL THE STEEL OUT OF YOUR DUCKS AND GEESE

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

HOW DO YOU GET ALL THE STEEL OUT OF YOUR DUCKS AND GEESE

Postby losthunter1 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:32 am

:help: Just wondering how everyone else keeps from goin to the dentist after every season.
I bought a cheap metal detector to run over my ducks and geese. :yes: However I was at my buddies house cookin up HIS goose and guess what ..........that's right I've got an appointment with the dentist on Mon. :thumbsdown:
So log on and put it down before we're all wearin dentures. :thumbsup:
losthunter1
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:46 am

I just breast out my ducks and geese so I can see if any of the pellets are stuck because they didnt go through all the way.
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:15 am

:withstupid:

when i breast my ducks, i poke my finger through any entry wound from the pellets... i end up cutting all my meat in stips so it doesnt matter if there are a few holes in it... plus my mom did break a tooth on one once, so from then on we've always made extra sure that we get them all... one thing i will say though with using fasteel now, it normally goes right through the duck...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:35 am

Take em to the local hospital and have them stuck in a MRI machine. The powerful magnet will pull the steel out, no problem.

In all honesty though, we mostly just breast ours out. The ones I pluck I look for the holes and squeeze em out. Sometimes it is just barely under the skin and will pop right out.
Penguine
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:43 am

Penguine wrote:Take em to the local hospital and have them stuck in a MRI machine. The powerful magnet will pull the steel out, no problem.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :toofunny:
Thats a real good one!!!!!! :laughing:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:24 am

Actually i really dont usually look. Steel usually flies right through anyway. But ill have to start.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Kelpy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:14 pm

A friend of mine just uses # 7 steel and he swears that it doesn't hurt as bad as the larger shot.

???? might be worth a try!
Kelpy
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:55 am

Steel and hevi-shot tend to go right through birds, so I have little trouble with it. BUT, be a little bit of a detective when you clean your birds. All pellets will have an entry wound. Those that DO NOT have an exit wound are somewhere in the duck.

I always pluck and eat my ducks whole, so I see a lot of what the breast-em-only crownd does not. You will never find a pellet in unwounded flesh, so let that be your guide. If you see damage, look for the pellet. Be patient, take care in your work and you will find the pellets. Your friend either isn't as careful or just missed one. It happens.

My $.02
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:17 pm

I just spit mine out.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby #1wingnut » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:05 pm

Boomn4x4 wrote:I just spit mine out.

:withstupid:

Shoot em at 20 yards or less and problem solved
entry hole and exit hole :thumbsup:

Dan
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby decoydog2 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:32 pm

A cheap pair of Walmart tweesers.
I want to be Mike Gagne when i grow up!
decoydog2
hunter

Postby pike_mazter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:21 am

Shoot em in the head!
pike_mazter
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:20 pm

Get em in close when you shoot them. Entrance then exit holes. Or you can be like my buddy and just wing them and make the dog work hard for them. No hole that way :umm: .
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby youngster57 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:14 am

:toofunny: that wouldnt work for me since i have no dog. But i guess id get in better shape.
youngster57
hunter

Postby cjpballer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:04 pm

i just chew softly.
cjpballer
hunter

Postby mtroup » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:03 pm

cjpballer wrote:i just chew softly.

i cooked my first bit of duck tonight and luckily i didnt get any but my brother and cousin did.. not too bad.. chewing slow is the best way i've found..
mtroup
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:52 pm

Boomn4x4 wrote:I just spit mine out.

Right with ya, little steel in tha teeth never hurt nobody. spit it out. never had a problem with it though.

Sure some ones gonna say "use lead" it don't hurt
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MOwaterfowler » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:16 pm

keep a magnet in the cooking area. if the meat sticks poke around for a pellet.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:54 pm

Be patient, take care in your work and you will find the pellets. Your friend either isn't as careful or just missed one. It happens.

Duckjumper knows whereof he speaks. He and a buddy went hunting one day and cooked up their catch that night for us womenfolk back home. The result? No steel on the men's plates, but two shots simultaneously dropped out of the birds on each of the women's plates as we were lifting the birds to our mouths. Clink. Clink.

But I was already tired of yelling at him about it, so I just laughed. Then I got my own gun so I could serve him up some pan-seared steel in revenge.

Love you, Duckjumper!!! :getdown:
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Ex-Cajun » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:44 am

I use a pretty strong magnet, neo? somethg (rare earth magnet), got it on eBay. I just breast out most ducks unless they are teal or woodys and it does a GREAT job of finding the shot in a breast. I also have a chipped tooth from my buddy's plucked duck. Bit down on pellets 3 times at his house. I found they have a tendency to stick in the leg meat mostly and go through the breasts. I'm getting him a magnet too (if he'll use the damn thing). The size of the one I have is about the size of a quarter and just under 1/4 inch thick. Very strong and have found every pellet in the meat.
Good luck!
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:48 am

I recently saw a small meat scanner made just for shot I think it was in a Cabelas mag. but not sure, but I will have one next season.Last year bit down on a BB and shattered a molar in 5 pieces, had it fixed for the cost of a good decoy spread {luckily have insurance} and it still is very sensitive. {you can always tell the guys who shoot heavy shot by the way they smile :eek:
JAKE H
hunter

why bother

Postby jaydogg » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:26 pm

why bother, I just use my Whites metal detector. :lol:

Penguine wrote:Take em to the local hospital and have them stuck in a MRI machine. The powerful magnet will pull the steel out, no problem.

In all honesty though, we mostly just breast ours out. The ones I pluck I look for the holes and squeeze em out. Sometimes it is just barely under the skin and will pop right out.
jaydogg
Banned

Postby goosegizzards » Sat May 12, 2007 10:53 pm

shoot em in the head
goosegizzards
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:11 pm

use lead, it's softer :lol:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Daisycuttin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:47 pm

I just shoot em straight in the face. That patternmaster usually dont leave too many pelletts around to be eaten. :hammer:
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Next