Duck Hunting Forum banner

Oven Roasted Duck in the Black Iron Pot....

14K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Saltwater_Assassin 
#1 ·
Wanted to share a recipe for roasting ducks in the oven with a black iron pot. Its a simple way to cook them with the results of great flavor, especially for those of you that dont like the strong game taste.

Line the bottom of the pot with onions

Season the ducks heavy with Tony's Seasoning or whatever seasoning u boys like to use. Place the ducks breast down on top of the onions.

Cover the top of the ducks with an entire pack of thick cut smoke bacon.

Then cover with onion and u can also put a pack of sausage like in the picture. We add duck sausage every once in a while.

Then add a 20 ounce coke and cover for cooking. U can also use beer or wine if u would like. I use Vanilla Coke due to it adding a slight sweet gravy which compliments the bacon flavor. But thats just my preference. Then COVER WITH THE POT TOP.....

Heat your oven to 325 degrees and cook for 3 1/2 hours. DO NOT OPEN THE POT AND CHECK. Just let it cook till its done.

Enjoy.........

See less See more
#12 ·
Black Brant said:
So how many of y'all tried this. I did and like it, that is the reason for the bump, I got on today to refresh my aging memory as to what temperature to use. Got some fat pintails thawing and will be starting another batch NOW :beer:
:thumbsup:

#14 ·
Wanted to give this a bump since hunting is in full swing some places and coming soon to some of us. This recipe is great and works well with Ducks(divers and puddlers), Doves, and Geese. Enjoy!

#16 ·
mox said:
How long for 1 duck? Sampling this tonight... Trying 45 min @ 350. Feel like 325 would be a better idea tho...
For one duck....3.5 hours. The length of time does not change just because you are cooking 1 bird, it will take that long to tenderize it.

#17 ·
Indaswamp said:
mox said:
How long for 1 duck? Sampling this tonight... Trying 45 min @ 350. Feel like 325 would be a better idea tho...
For one duck....3.5 hours. The length of time does not change just because you are cooking 1 bird, it will take that long to tenderize it.
Did 1.5 hrs @ 350. Meat was tender but flavor average at best.

#22 ·
Slack Tide said:
Amazing what you have to go through to make them edible.....
How about some chocolate syrup too? :no:
I personally rather just smoother them down with onions and salt and pepper only. When u put down the ducks we do then different recipes are a good thing from time to time so dont hate. Chocolate Syrup would be dumb by the way.....

#23 ·
Saltwater_Assassin said:
Slack Tide said:
I personally rather just smoother them down with onions and salt and pepper only. When u put down the ducks we do then different recipes are a good thing from time to time so dont hate. Chocolate Syrup would be dumb by the way.....
It was a joke man.....
I'm saying that you could put an old shoe at the bottom of that pot and it would taste good under all that goodness....
On the other hand my point was, that it takes ALL that, to make them edible....

#24 ·
Slack Tide said:
Saltwater_Assassin said:
Slack Tide said:
It was a joke man.....
I'm saying that you could put an old shoe at the bottom of that pot and it would taste good under all that goodness....
On the other hand my point was, that it takes ALL that, to make them edible....
Do you not eat ducks Slack?

#25 ·
I struggle through a few a season, but I give most away...

I can tell you one thing, there is not one person ever in my life around here who I've ever seen eat them with the skin....
Breast them out at best....

As per NYS reg handbook:
Health Advisory
Mergansers are the most heavily contaminated waterfowl species and should not be eaten. Eat no more than two meals per month of other wild waterfowl; you should skin them and remove all fat before cooking and discard stuffing after cooking. Wood ducks and Canada geese are less contaminated than other wild waterfowl species, and diving ducks are more contaminated than dabbler ducks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.