Sausage Stuffer

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Sausage Stuffer

Postby just.learnin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 pm

I have been making some duck snack sticks lately, and using the grinder to stuff the casings is a PITA. Has anyone had experience using the L shaped stuffers? Is it worth bucking up and buying the a vertical stuffer instead of the L shaped one? I will be using it for small sticks, so I don't think I'll need a huge capacity.
jehler wrote:
jrockncash wrote: it was to big.
that's what wackems wife told me...but i still managed :hammer:

jehler is my hero
just.learnin
hunter

Re: Sausage Stuffer

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:39 pm

we use a 5lb. vertical stuffed and it works awesome. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Sausage Stuffer

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:51 am

If you are making small quantites like me of 5 to 10 pound batches, you might think about this. I tried using the grinder and thought about buying a stuffer but chose another route. I use a jerky cannon to make my sticks. It holds 1 1/2 pounds of meat. I also purchased a 3/8" stuffer nozzle that fits on my jerky cannon. This works like a charm filling 19mm casings. However, I have chose to stay with forming sticks without the casings for two reasons. Sure they dont look as nice as when you put the meat in casings but looks are not everything. Taste is better without the casings and cost is reduced. The casings cost me $11. to stuff 14 pounds of meat. Since my smoker is set up to use racks instead of hanging, the casing free snack sticks are better for smoking with my horizontal smoker. Also, as long as I use 20% ground pork in my meat mix, the snack sticks hold together well.
If you still insist on stuffing casings, the jerky cannon works fine imo.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking