How to Cook a Goose

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

How to Cook a Goose

Postby g100driver » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:39 pm

I am new to this forum, so ya'll be nice to me :)

I am looking for a way to cook Canadian Geese.

Living in Oregon I get the opprotunity to shoot lots of them. So far, all I have been able to do is smoke them to make them palatable. Otherwise they taste like flying liver :thumbsdown:

Any good reciepes would be appreciated :salude:
g100driver
hunter

Postby Penguine » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:59 pm

Take the breasts, drop in a frying pan with a bit of oil to "cook" the outside. Remove from frying pan and stick in a crock pot. Cover with cream of mushroom soup, cook till done. How long depends on how thick the breast are.

You could slice the breast thin, marinate them in your favorite chicken marinade, and cook like ya would a chicken.
Penguine
hunter

Postby ducks1411 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:14 pm

I used to hate Geese but that's back when all I did was pan sear it like chicken. How wrong I was, so many tasty birds wasted. Anyhow, to me garlic and geese go together fabulously. I take any type of garlic based marinade and let the breast meat soak at LEAST overnight. I have been known to let it sit for two days. Don't go by what the company says as far as marinating times. I'm convinced they've never hunted in their life. After the desired marinating time, either throw in a crockpot with veggies and/or potatos, or coat with some shake and bake type stuff and fry in some oil. Or do what you seem to do best and slow smoke them beauties to perfection or slap on the grill. I'm a fan of the latter since I enjoy bbq'in. You can also cut the meat in thin strips, get a hold of some asian bbq themed marinade, marinate, and then stir fry the meat with veggies and throw over rice. That is also very very tasty. Overall I think find a good marinade you enjoy and just let the meat soak in there for a good long time and then cook however you desire.
Active member of P.E.T.A.--People Eating Tasty Animals.
ducks1411
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:57 pm

Canada geese are essentially big ducks with one exception: They are often really really old. (tough) The way you tell is 1) if you are lucky enough to get a banded bird, 2) look at the beak and feet -- the older the bird the more beat up they'll be, and 3) the best way, feel the keel bone (which separates the two sides of the breast). If the keel is soft, you have a young goose.

Young geese I recommend roasting whole like a domestic goose (you do pluck them, right?)

Old geese I recommend separating into pieces.

Breasts, you slice 1/4 inch thick, put between two pieces of wax paper and pound thin. Dredge in flour and fry in hot oil (bacon fat is nice) for only a minute or two. Serve with sauce of your choice. I recommend a really good mustard. Goes well with rice or egg noodles.

Legs and wings I coat in salt and thyme and let rest a day or two, then rub the salt/thyme off and submerge in fat (goose fat is best, but you could use anything) cook SLOWLY (no bubbles!) for 2-4 hours. You can put the whole thing in the oven at 300 and walk away. They're done when you can put a skewer in them with little resistance. It takes a lot of fat to do this, but you can reuse it and the resulting legs/wings are AWESOME! You can use the finished legs in pasta (take the meat off the bone) or you can then sear the outsides over very high heat in a pan just to crisp the outside and serve.

It's a bit of work but trust me - you will thank me if you end up doing this! :thumbsup:
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby g100driver » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:05 pm

Thank-you all.
g100driver
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:55 pm

Marinate goose breast in red wine and lots of garlic. Grill over low heat while adding little pads of butter to the side that is up. Tasts a lot like London broil.
Troutslayer
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking