Duck Hearts

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Duck Hearts

Postby Fishstick » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Any body else savour these tasty little morsels? By far one of my favorite parts to eat. I was a lil squeemish at first, but they are delicious. Me and my dad always fight over them when we cook up our ducks. I was just curious to see if anyone else ate them.

-Eric
Fishstick
hunter

Postby Penguine » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:01 pm

How do you cook them? I tried last year and about puked in the pan. It was, well... Bleh..
Penguine
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:39 pm

Good for you, Fishstick! Everyone around here gives me the hairy eyeball :umm: when I talk about them.

I collect them until I have a bunch and then marinate them in olive oil, lemon juice, a chili pepper, oregano and salt and pepper for a day or so. Then cut into quarters and sear the hell out of them on a screaming hot frying pan until they medium-ish. Serve with short pasta (bowties or the little shells) toss with more olive oil and chili flakes, top with more black pepper and you're good to go! :getdown:

How do you cook them?
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Penguine » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:06 pm

duckjumper wrote:How do you cook them?

Obviously I cook them incorrectly. :oops: When I say I almost puked in the pan I ain't lieing. They were horrible. Your recipe sounds yummy though.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:10 am

:laughing: If you have to add all that spice to make them paltable then it hardly seems worth it. JMO To each his/her own, enjoy.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:40 am

I do a lot of Italian cooking and those spices are in nearly everything. It doesn't hide the flavor though. Tell you what - I'll do a batch this season w/o anything but salt, pepper and olive oil and report back. :thumbsup:
duckjumper
hunter

Postby decoydog2 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:14 pm

I too will save them till the end of the season and will cook them two different ways.....throw them in the smoker and then stuff them in jelopenos and wrap them in bacon and put it on the grill. Or I will marinade them and put them on scewers with veggies and grill them.
I want to be Mike Gagne when i grow up!
decoydog2
hunter

Postby large1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:50 am

Here in Louisiana most people keep the heart, liver, and gizzards from all of their ducks and coots (or poule d'eau as they are known here) And put them in gumbo or dirty rice. Very good eating :thumbsup: :yes:
large1
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:44 pm

:rofl: I use them for catfish bait......
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fishon!! » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:20 pm

greenster wrote::rofl: I use them for catfish bait......

good idea :thumbsup: wish i could get some duck hearts now :biggrin:
save your confederate dollars, cause the south will rise again!!
fishon!!
hunter

Postby drake~slayer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:10 pm

I Love the hearts and livers. I saved all the hearts and livers from just about every bird i shot (some of em were to shot up to save). I prepared em like duck jumper suggested. they were great. I shared them with my cousin and his wife. Neither of them realy like organ meat, but they loved these little morsels. Thank you Duck jumper. :thumbsup:
Shoot 'em in the face.
drake~slayer
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:46 am

Hey! Thanks for the nod, Drake Slayer!

If anyone ever wants to get fancy with duck bits, here is a homemade duck liver ravioli recipe I did recently at our annual Duck Hunter's Dinner!

If you make it, lemme know how you like it! Cheers,

h.
duckjumper
hunter

COOKING DUCK HEARTS

Postby marktrail » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 am

I always take the heart, liver and neck and boil them in water seasoned with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Also add onion and garlic. Save the broth for gravy or eat it. If your making gravy cut up the heart, liver and pull the meat from the neck and add it or just knaw on them the way they are (boiled). Just like my MOMMA did with all of her fowl. Delicous!!!
marktrail
hunter

rituals...

Postby scottd72 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:25 am

i think it's good luck and good eating to save and eat the hearts.......of course cooking them is preferred but if you want to reach in, grab a bloody heart from the first mallard of the season and sink your front tooth into it - go for it! - your buddies will then know who the most dangerous duck hunter is in your crew...
scottd72
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:17 pm

I too look forward to eating the heart of my game. Its really good. My dad and I always take flak for it, but I just don't see how their bad? Mind over matter is what I say. They're really good in some duck strogenough (spelling?).
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Re: rituals...

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:29 pm

scottd72 wrote:i think it's good luck and good eating to save and eat the hearts.......of course cooking them is preferred but if you want to reach in, grab a bloody heart from the first mallard of the season and sink your front tooth into it - go for it! - your buddies will then know who the most dangerous duck hunter is in your crew...

And wouldn't you know it that duck has a rare disease that only 1 in every 10 million have and the only way to get it is to eat the heart raw and you got it :rofl:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby pappy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:44 pm

here's a different twist.....

save your ducks and livers. in a frying pan that is hot cover the bottom of the large pan with farve beans. when the skins begin to slip off the beans remove the skins from the beans by pinching them.

in a little olive oil saute the hearts and livers with a pinch of garlic until medium to medium well.

in a blender blend the farve beans with cream cheese and drissle in olive oil until your mixture is the consistency of a sandwitch spread. add the duck and black pepper and blend some more.

on a grill or oven toast french bread drizzled with olive oil. spread the cooled duck bean concoction onto the bread. should look like guacamole with some dark specks in it. good eatin.

good huntin
pap
pappy
hunter

Postby BullCajun » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Muscle is muscle anyway you cut it. Down here you would be laughed at if you "used it for bait". :no: Can't out cook a coonass! I don't care who you are! Season your birds. Lightly coat your pot with oil and heat. Brown the birds turning until all sides are seared. When the pot starts to look dry, add some water. Just enough to loosen the browned bits at the bottom. Do this five or six times.The closer you get to burned without going over is the ticket. When the gravy starts to look the color you like add one onion, 1/2 bell pepper, chopped garlic. As the veggies brown it will take on a very pleasant aroma. Salt gravy to taste. Place lid on pot and place in 300 degree oven for about two hours or until meat falls of the bone. Add chopped green onions and let cool slightly. Serve over fresh steamed rice with potato salad on the side. Fresh french bread to top it off. Whooee! Thats good!
BullCajun
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking