corned venison, duck or goose

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

corned venison, duck or goose

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:14 pm

hey all,
my buddy made some corned venison out of the front shoulder of his deer. let me tell ya, this is great. i got a buck over the weekend, so im gonna give it a shot myself, but, im using the hine quarter because its larger. ive seperated all the major muscles, so ill have a few chunks for more than one meal. plus, i think the brine will take better. this recipe also says that it will work with ducks and geese. sounds interesting, so im gonna give it a try after i get some ducks opening day(saturday). :getdown:

heres the recipe:

Corned venison, Ducks, Geese
    2-3 lb brisket, flank, or shoulder roast or comparable duck/goose breasts
    2 quarts distilled or spring water
    1/2 cup tenderizing salt
    1/2 cup canning and pickling salt
    3 tbls pickling spice
    2 bay leaves
    8 whole peppercorns
    1-2 cloves of garlic minced

Place meat in a glass bowl. In saucepan combine ingredients. Heat just to boiling point. Remove from heat and let cool. Pour cooled brine over meat. If meat is thick, inject brine directly into meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let set in fridge for 4-5 days, turning occassionally. Drain and rinse with cold water. Use as corned beef.

enjoy :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:43 pm

hey guys,
finally tried the corned venison. it came out great. just thought id let ya know. and this after itd been froze. the next one im gonna try as soon as its done. but, i cant imagine it getting much better. :tounge:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking