Duck Hunting Forum banner

How do you cook the majority of your ducks?

5K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  Spencer5100 
#1 ·
We have made twelve pounds of sausage so far and it is great. In years past we have wasted some of the meat by not eating it, so this year I went out and bought a grinder and we cant get enough duck. All of my friends and family love it and want to buy it of us. Great stuff :thumbsup: :salude: Can't wait for next year and its only 300 days away.

#3 ·
I used high mountain seasoning for the last batch which is great but you have to put it in the casings, I have tried Aldo's game spice and it is great as well but no need for casings. I grinded it with pork at about 55% duck 45% pork. You should try it :salude:

#7 ·
I like to grill mine.I cut the breast out I lay them flat on cutting board and slice them them thin like 2-3 slices.
I put them in salt water over night , then rince them.
Put jalapeno half at one end and roll up take a piece of bacon and rap,use a tooth pick to hold it togeather.

Put it on the grill for about 15 min make sure you turn over ever min. or so.
when the bacon is done the duck is done.

Serve over brown rice, or with mashed potatoes and grave. mmmmmmmm :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Cut into strips & marinate in balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, & lots of freshly choped time. Wrap the strips in bacon, sear it on the grill, then bake for 45 min @ 325.
:tounge: :tounge: :tounge:

#11 ·
jerky most of my ducks.This year I may be fryin up some. Met buck gardner a few weeks a go, and 'the duck lady' shes part of his entarage.
She cooks up duck by cutting it into small pieces, then she puts some of bucks spice on the duck[I like the garlic] place in hot oiled pan and cook for about 4 or 5 minutes at most enjoy. I bought 2 bottles of the stuff.
check out his web sight to get it.

#12 ·
Fried some, mostly make sausage, i wanna try making some jerky this year.

#13 ·
Roast ducks in a covered pan, on a rack, and over water.
Slow heat-275.
Take time-maybe 1 1/2 hours at least.
They'll fall off your fork.

#14 ·
Try this one:
breast your birds and then soak in some brine any salt solution or soy sauce. (This brings out the blood in the pellet holes and adds moisture to a very lean dark meat)

lay the breasts in tin foil and sprinkle with chineeze 5 spice either bake or bbq at a low temperature for about 20 min. (mallards wil take 20 minutes teal and smaller birds will only take about 10)

Mix soy and honey and just a pinch of five spice and warm up until mixture is thoughly mixed and the honey has mixed well with the soy.

open the tin foil and spoon sauce over duck breast and cook for another 5 minute or until brown.

Chineese five spice duck and I have had people tell me it was awesome and they did not like duck to begin with.

#16 ·
:hammering: Ever since we were kids we just love BBQ ducks! Dad would pick em clean & mom would soak em in brown sugar and orange juice. The next night we would put them, ribs down on the barbie for 15 min, then flip em for ten more. (c/o med heat charcoal; gas is too hot! ) Adjust cooking time per the elevation in your area. When in high school we kids loved them "Rare", the red juice would run down our chins... Now I prefer Med rare, w/o the "red". If you want to tame the "ducky" flavor down a little; soak them in salt water over night. You can add, soy sauce, sugar, bourbon, wine, bay leaf; anything to flavor the meat .....ENJOY....Ed

#17 ·
I have several good recipies but the bottom line is duck is dark lean meat and should be cooked slow and not well done otherwise that plump northern mallard tastes like shoe leather. I have several people who have come to enjoy duck where they otherwise would have turned up thier noses. Soaking out fowl that have been ventilated with pellets is always a good idea. Last nights recipie was this:

Breast out 4 medium size birds. and soak overnight in brine
slice the breast meat into fairly thin slices.
Marinate with fajita sauce overnight.
Slice bell peppers, green onion, red onion and some jalepeno's
heat skillet and add canola oil lightly stir fry until duck is brown
this will take about 2 minutes add the vegi's and fry for another
couple minutes and make sure the duck does not get over done.
vegi's should still be rather crisp.

place mixture on a burrito shell add lettuce, sour cream and grated cheese and bon appetite

#18 ·
I usualy cook my teal,ducks & dove all the same. Put a chunk of jalepeno between the breast ( by slicing in midle of breast ) Put a real light amount of miracle whip on the breast and sprinkle on a bunch of lemmon pepper and wrap the whole breast in bacon. Use toothpicks to hold bacon in place, cover all of it with foil and thow it in the grill.

#20 ·
My family and everyone enjoy these three recipes.

duck kobobs..you can either put alot of veggies or my hubby prefers duck and onion, bacon. I cut duck breast into 1 inch chunks and cut bacon ito 1 inch slices then stick on skewers making sure there is a slice of bacon on each side of the duck. put a little season of choice i use lowery season salt alot. grill till done.

A real favorite is what they call Duck Stir Fry.

I cut up (dice) green and red peppers, onions. i use a large skillet and melt butter. I also cut a 1/2 lb - 1lb of bacon and fry it up. then add the onion and peppers simmer till its like a slurry. I add lowerys season salt and worchester sauce. I cut duck breast into thin slices (no bigger than your little finger) and throw the duck in. cook till duck is done...do not over cook. I usuallly serve over brown rice. Every Hunter I have fed this too has requested it again.

My new recipe for this year is Duck gumbo.

I am still tweaking this but it has been served and enjoyed alot. I cut my duck breast in small chunks. I also slice up a package 3-5 andoulles sausage links(have used beef sausage links) a bag of pealed shrimp. I boil all the meat in spicy shrimp boil till its cooked good. In a large skillet you heat up some oil and add flour it will get thick and turn dark brown in color. add chopped onions, and peppers and seasoning of choice. You will need to add some water but you want it to thicken up. add you meat that you cooked in the shrimp boil and drained. Boil rice and add to this. It is a real thick gumbo dish. and yummy.

#21 ·
I live on the coast and right now there is very good Sea Duck hunting. I have never tried any kind of Duck before yesterday. I was told they have a real bad taste but I had to try it for myself, this is what I did. Soaked the breast in water and salt ( to pull some of the blood out), then cut the breast up into small cubes and soaked them in soy sauce over night. Next day took each cube and rolled them in bacon and stuck a toothpick in there to hold it together. When they were done I popped one in my mouth and I think I would of rather ate the toothpick! WOW. I don't mind game
meat but this was something else boy. I am looking forward to our up coming puddle season in Nov. I am hoping that puddle ducks taste much,
much different than these. Any input?

JoeP :help:

#22 ·
I maranade the duck breasts in milk overnight, this even takes out the strong gamey taste of divers. I then wrap 1 piece of bacon around the breast and hold in place with a tooth pick. Put them under the broiler, 7 minuates on one side, turn over for 7 minuates on the other side, pull out and add a splash of BBQ sauce and under the broiler for another 2 minuates.......mmmmm good!!!

Another method I use is to take the milk maranated breasts, coat them with mustard, then bread crumbs and pan fry them, don't overcook the duck, it will get like shoe leather. This is also a very good way to prepare ducks, especially divers......good luck

#23 ·
here's how i do it.breast out ducks & cut into strips,put them in a glass dish(like the 1 you cook brownies in).crush a couple of garlic cloves in.cover meat w/teriyaki(I add a little habanero sauce at this time if you like it spicy).put plastic wrap over top & thro in fridge 24 hours.then get a hot skillet put a little butter & olive oil in.add 2 sliced bermuda onions & 2 sliced red peppers.when onions start to get clear dump whole duck & juice mixture in.cook on low heat about 1/2 hour.at this point my wife makes tortillas but you can always buy em.when duck is done thro in tortilla w/your favorite hot sauce & some cilantro.I add a squeze of lime as well.DANG GOOD!

#25 ·
duckcrazy said:
I like to grill mine.I cut the breast out I lay them flat on cutting board and slice them them thin like 2-3 slices.
I put them in salt water over night , then rince them.
Put jalapeno half at one end and roll up take a piece of bacon and rap,use a tooth pick to hold it togeather.

Put it on the grill for about 15 min make sure you turn over ever min. or so.
when the bacon is done the duck is done.

Serve over brown rice, or with mashed potatoes and grave. mmmmmmmm :thumbsup:
damn u found my secret duck wraps recipe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.