how to make a brine (?)

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

how to make a brine (?)

Postby tapera » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:38 pm

saw the post on brining/beering, and i remembered that i'd always wanted to try the former. how do you make the solution? do you boil the water and add tons of salt, then let cool and add the meat? or just put a bunch of salt in cold water? in what proportions? any help/opinions appreciated! thanks---nick
tapera
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:00 pm

hey nick,
IMHO, you cant hardly mess up a brine. put in it whatever you like. the main ingredient is salt. common ingredients in a brine are water, canning and pickling salt, or koshuer salt, or tenderizing salt, pickling spice, pickling salt, bay leaves, peppercorns, chopped oninons, minced garlic cloves or even sugar.

brines can be cooked or uncooked. if you should cook a brine, let it cool before you put the meat in. you want to brine it, not cook it.

once you have your brine made and you insert the meat it will likely float up. put a glass plate and some type of heavy object on the top of the plate to keep the meat submerged. the salt will kill bacteria and keep the meat from spoiling. when you have the meat/plate and weight(if nessacary) in place, cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate. brine times vary from a couple hours to days or even weeks depending on what your doing. i seen a corned beef recipe that takes 3 weeks. :eek:

as far as knowing how much salt you need, that depends on the amount of water. a general rule is 1 cup for each gallon of water. when i brine salmon, i put enough salt in until i can float an egg. then i add the rest of my spices. i put the salmon in and let it set over night in the fridge, and smoke it the following day.

if you do a google search im sure youll come up with allot of brine recipes too.

good luck in your quest for brines. when done properly your food will turn out delicious. :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby tapera » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:36 pm

thanks, a-bomb. great response. i assume for a "cold" brine, you just pour in the salt and stir for a while, til it dissolves?
tapera
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:12 pm

yes
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Fooniespucker » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:59 pm

Hey Tapera,

Try this one for size and forget about all that salt stuff.

If you got geese cut out the back bone and split the breast.

Take a big bowl and add the following:

4 Cups Soy Sauce
2 Cups Orange Juice or Pineapple Juice
1/2 Cup of Worshechester
2 Table Spoons of Full Peppercorn
1/2 Cup of A-1 Sauce
1 tablespoon fine black pepper
1/2 Cup of Maple Syrup
1/2 dozen good shakes with some Tobbasco

Throw the meat in the bowl and let it set up overnite.

IMPORTANT: Get the smoker ready, then take out the meat (goose, duck, deer, fish) and make sure to dry the meat with some paper towels. It is very important that the meat is dry. Throw on the smoker for 6-8 hours, sometiimes a little longer depending on your smoker.

Trust me, this is one brine recipe that's easy and taste great. Let me if you try and how it turns out.

The Fooniespucker :smile:
Let'em work
Fooniespucker
hunter

Postby DMK » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:11 pm

We have been using this with our smoker.
1 quart water
1/2 C pickling salt
1/2C white sugar
5 pounds of 1/4" thk slices
12 hours in the frig
stir 2 to 3 times if possible
add your favorite flavor(s) if you like
I prefer to them as a dry seasoning after
I take it out of the frig and pat w/a towel
first
after spices have been added let dry for an hour or until
a glaze appears on the meat
Rember the first hour of smoking is where most
of the smoke flavor comes from.
a total of 3.5 hrs at 175 degrees works best for us.

BOL
DENNIS
Hanlontown, Iowa
DMK
hunter

o

Postby jpm49878 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:02 pm

a brine can be many things all it has to really be is salt and water, but i have found over the years to add: soysause, pepper corn, garlic powder, onion, vinegar. just use your imagination. i like the thing with the weight to keep the bird submerged. awsome idea. :thumbsup:
I WAS BORN IN THE MARSH, I WILL DIE IN THE MARSH
jpm49878
Membership permanently suspended

Postby 30 caliber » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:34 pm

:mrgreen: For my Thanksgiving turkey, I used 1/2 water and 1/2 apple cider along with the salt and spices, then smoked it over apple wood. Experiment- that's half the fun.
30 caliber
hunter

Brine

Postby Cootkiller69 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:12 pm

All these posts forget one critical ingredient.......SUGAR you must have sugar to mellow out the brine or all you will be making is really salty smoked duck. Take my advice I have been making duck/goose jerky for years.
Cootkiller69
hunter

Postby 30 caliber » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:49 pm

:salude: Cootkiller69 is absolutely right. The apple cider provided the needed sugar when I brined the turkey. :thumbsup:
30 caliber
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking