Duck Hunting Forum banner

Goose Sausage?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  duckjumper 
#1 ·
Though I am a duck man, I love shooting geese, snows mostly where I live.Unfortunatly I cant eat them because they taste like a spoonie with a mudpie up its ass.I have heard of goose sausage, any body tried it before? Do you mix it w/ pork, and at what percent?

#2 ·
I found these on another site.

Italian Sausage (Goose)

Per 1 pound of meat (70% goose - 30% pork back fat)

1 ½ teaspoons salt

2 tablespoons corn syrup

1 ½ teaspoons dextrose

½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper

¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

¼ teaspoon crushed chilies

½ teaspoon dried parley flakes

¼ teaspoon oregano

¼ teaspoon ascorbic acid

1/8 teaspoon grated lemon

2 cups rice

Freeze goose meat. Grind frozen goose through 3/16" plate. Place ground meat back in freezer. Grind back fat through 1/8" plate. Mix goose meat and back fat in tub. Mix spices with 4 tablespoons ice water per pound. Mix well. Stuff in to 1 ¼" hog casings. Refridgerate overnight. Wrap and freeze what you are not going to eat.

To cook, simmer sausages in hot water for 5 minutes, then brown on barbeque grill. Place on a pannini bun with sautéed onions and green peppers with some good German mustard or slice up and add to spaghetti sauce.

Note: recipe originally by blackie

Goose Sausage
70% goose breasts.
30% pork back fat.
Grind frozen goose through 3/16" plate. Fat through 1/8" plate.
Mix in tub (keep goose frozen while grinding pork).
Mix spices with 150 ml (1/2 cup) ice water per kg.

Spices as follows per kg or 2.2 lbs
18ml salt; 65 ml corn syrup; 18 ml dextrose; 6 ml coarse ground pepper;
2 ml ground cayenne pepper; 2 ml crushed chiles; 7 ml dried parley flakes;
2.5 ml oregano; 2 ml ascorbic acid and 1 ml grated lemon zest.
Note: 5ml = 1 tea; 15 ml = 1 tblsp; 250 ml = 1 cup).
Mix well with hands.
Stuff in to 32-35 mm hog casings.
Refrigerate overnite. Wrap and freeze what you are not going to eat.

To cook, simmer in hot water for 5 minutes, then brown on bbq.
Place on a pannini bun with sauteed onions & green peppers with some good
german mustard.

Or slice up and add to spaghetti sauce.

To die for! And many geese have!

Note: recipe originally submitted by Sloughboy

Snow Goose Polish Sausage

Ingredients
(Ingredients are based on a 50 lb batch of sausage)

35 pounds well rinsed goose breasts, w/no fat
15 pounds shoulder pork
sausage seasoning from local meat locker
natural sausage casings
cotton string
wood chips

MY Note: although no detailed seasonings are given in recipe two above you have the goose/fat ratio and reasonably detailed instructions between the other recipes. The other recipes also give some idea as to spices etc.

Directions: Cut the pork into cubes, and thoroughly mix the goose breasts, the pork, and the seasoning. After mixing, feed mixture through a commercial meat grinder. Then, take the ground mixture and feed through the grinder a second time to ensure thorough mixing of the seasonings.

Take the mixture and load it into a sausage stuffer. Soak natural casings in warm water and place them on the end of the stuffer. Have one person crank the stuffer while another feeds the casings and twists them, so the links are approximately 6-7" long, resulting in a quarter-pound link. Also, be sure to squeeze out the all the air bubbles that you can. At the end of the casings, tie off with the cotton string.

Then, take the links to a large smoker and smoke them in cool wood smoke (around 150 degrees) so that the meat becomes smoked, but not cooked (usually 6-8 hours for a big batch). Then, separate the links and package according to your needs. Keep in mind that the sausages are not fully cooked, and they will require boiling to be ready for the table. My favorite way to have them is to simmer them in beer until they are cooked, and then lightly grill for 8 minutes on a medium flame.

You can also use this recipe to make summer sausage. All you need to do is use larger casings, and then fully smoke the sausages at a higher temperature, or finish them in the oven, to ensure that they are cooked through.

Note: recipe originally by Cabela's Staff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.