first duck...how to cook???

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

first duck...how to cook???

Postby richirich_99 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:01 pm

Hey guys! I just went out today for the first time and got my first duck. I only got one, but thats because most of the day was learning the area. Anyways, how should i cook my duck? Its a green wing teal. I already breasted it out, but im wondering best way to cook it....any help is appreciated! Thanks!
richirich_99
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:02 pm

For future reference teal are some of the best birds to cook whole. But since you already breasted it out. Either fry it like chicken, or wrap it in bacon and grill it.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby richirich_99 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:09 pm

do you happen to have any links with pics of how to clean a bird to cook it as a whole or could you try to describe how to go about that? Thanks!
richirich_99
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Sure, start with the whole bird. Pluck all feathers from the bird including down. Any feathers that dont come off you can use a lighter or burner to singe the remaining feathers off. You can now cut the wings at the first joint from the body then cut the feet off where the skin meets the leg. Then you can cut the head off right where the neck meets the body. Now you are left with the body down around its bottom will come to a point cut off that end and then pull out the insides be sure to get the lungs and the voicebox as they are tough to get sometimes the wash the bird good and soak in ice water for a couple days. Then cook it like a little turkey with dressing. :eek:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby richirich_99 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:32 am

hey thanks! That will really help for next time. If i get anymore teal next time out, i'll definatly try it that way.
richirich_99
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:26 am

MacAttack
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:58 pm

WHOLE ROAST HUNTER"S DUCK

1. Spice duck inside and out, do not fill cavity, just spice it. use cajun spice.
2. Open bottle of red wine and start drinking.
3.Heat oven to 475 or 500 degrees. Place ducks on a rack and cover bottom of pan with rock salt. The rock salt will absord the grease drippings and prevent it from smoking up your house... unless you like that.
4. refill wine glass and drain. repeat as needed or wanted.
5. Roast ducks: 30 minutes for mallards, 25 for woodies, 20 for teal, etc. different ovens have different temperature calibration so you'll have to experiment withthe times a bit in order to get it the way you want--golden brown on the outside, rare on the inside. Less time is probably best as ducks will continue to cook for anothr 10 minutes after leaving the oven.

6. Let ducks sit to cool at leats ten minutes... have another glass and open second bottle.

Serve with garlic toast, crunchy wild rice (lightly cooked that is) and eat like a wildman!

Women and small children should not witness this scene, that's why it's called HUNTER"S DUCK!
dudejcb
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 pm

I like dudejcb's recipe except it will overcook ducks IMHO. Ducks should be rare-to-medium, so I only roast a teal for 10-14 minutes at that temp. I never roast a duck past 25 minutes. Waterfowl are like steaks, red and rare. Quail, pheasants & turkeys you need to cook a bit more.

My $.02
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:40 pm

duckjumper you may have a hotter stove than I do so your times are shorter, but we agree about rare (even bloody) birds. Like any red meat except perhaps burger, where pathogens can be introduced throughout the grinder blades, the interior of all red meat cuts is virgin territory... that is, sterile. Whatever micro-organisms there may be exist only on the outside surface of the meat and they all are dead when the surface temp exceeds 150 degrees. With chicken you may need higher interior temps to 180... let's face it... they're fowl.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:50 pm

Well then there ya go - we're agreed! Let's eat! :salude:
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Re: first duck...how to cook???

Postby ths » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:03 am

richirich_99 wrote:Hey guys! I just went out today for the first time and got my first duck. I only got one, but thats because most of the day was learning the area. Anyways, how should i cook my duck? Its a green wing teal. I already breasted it out, but im wondering best way to cook it....any help is appreciated! Thanks!
If you pluck your ducks marinade over night in big bowl I use alittle water worchester sauce garlic powder season salt cup of wine and a cup of grape fruit juice you can skip the grape fruite juice if you like and use orange juice insteadThen inject breast with creole cajun or any other marinade. Then I stuff the birds with pepridge farms stuffing season outside of bird. Put bird breast up on heavy aluminum foil put 2 strips of bacon on top with a slice or square of butter rap and put on grill for 45 min to an hour depending on the heat of grill take out unrap and enjoy. if you breast your ducks marinade in same as above over night seaon with garlic powder season salt rap in bacon and put on grill. I use bamboo skewers and cut the breasts and get 5 to 6 pieces on each stick you can put a slice of onion and jalapenobeteen each breast piece, grill 15 min each side or to your liking delicious
ths
hunter

Postby dog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:52 am

well, I just started one of the steps a few minute ago.
1. breast the ducks (no skin needed)
2. freeze them for like 10 min (makes um easy to cut)
3. slice the meat down in strips (your choice of size)
4. put your meat in a container with "Mr. Yoshida's Marinade and Cooking sauce" or any marinades. You can add brown Sugar for sweetness, garlic or onion powder, or any other spice. And put it in the fridge for 2-3 days.
5. put the meat on racks in the oven at 130-150 degrees for a really long time (until it looks done)

no smoker or dehidrater needed. :rofl:
If it flys, it dies
dog
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking