how to cook ringneck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

how to cook ringneck

Postby duckhunter10610 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:03 am

Those who think that ring necks are uneatable are sadly mistaken! I have been eating it all my life and its super tender!

Step 1: put the ring neck in salt water and soak for 2 days. Change the water about once a day.
Step 2: after it soaks for two days soak in milk over night, make sure completely cover the duck
Step 3: cut breasts into thing strips
Step 4: soak in dales seasoning for around 5 minutes
Step 5: coat with flour, add seasoning to own taste
Step 6: fry in vegetable oil till golden brown.

Will post pics on reply box tomorrow, I am making some tonight its soaking in milk at this very moment!

Enjoy and God Bless
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Re: how to cook ringneck

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:49 pm

ring neck is an awesome gumbo duck!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby duckhunter10610 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Really? I was actually just thinking about trying that and i am definitely going to give it a try now thank you!
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:43 pm

duckhunter10610 wrote:Really? I was actually just thinking about trying that and i am definitely going to give it a try now thank you!

Here you go...
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=102000&p=2045901
:thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby duckhunter10610 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Looks great thank you!
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:02 pm

I baked a ringneck for the first time last year. Turned out better than I expected. I just cleaned and skinned it (I know most don't skin em), put it in the center of a small glass dish of par boiled brown rice with a small amount of chipped pork mixed in. Two strips of bacon over the breast to keep it from drying out and cooked it slow on about 250 for an hour. Needless to say I had dinner for the night and it was great.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby duckhunter10610 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:21 pm

I have never herd of baked ring neck but I will give that a try I have so much left over from last season that im trying to find new ways to cook it so thank you.
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Dead on with the milk soak man! I thought i was the only one that did that. Ringers around my swamp are usually used for coyote bait but I hate to shoot something that im not gonna eat. Gumbo is my go to for ducks that are "less" palatable. I got a baked quesadilla ill post up as well
sehunter1
hunter

Postby duckhunter10610 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Yea the milk makes it so much better! And ok sounds great!
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:36 pm

duckhunter10610 wrote:I have never herd of baked ring neck but I will give that a try I have so much left over from last season that im trying to find new ways to cook it so thank you.

Yeah it was "one if those evenings". Nasty out and had hunted from daybreak till 1-2pm and was in the mood to cook. I had never heard of it before either but just kinda threw it together. That's generally how I cook... By the seat of the pants and I don't measure or time much. Just put some things together that sound good and cook till I think it's right. I was surprised as well.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby duckhunter10610 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 am

Yea I know what you mean I am gunna start just randomly cooking it soon like trying to cook it like a steak and many other things next week so Ill see how all that turns out. And baked duck will now be one of those things that imma try
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Never brined or soaked my ringers in anything, except the marinade I chose for that preferred dish. Usually it was just some dry rub, olive oil, and a little soy. Granted they were made into poppers for a quick meal, but I think there meat is as good as some puddlers. Their diet is pretty fresh dependent upon where they were shot. Down here they feed mostly on hydrilla in the freshwater.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby duckhunter10610 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Yea i never used to soak them untill recently and i find that it makes them taste more tender. I have always been told that they were trash ducks and ive even herd people say they would never shoot one because they are so nasty.
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

how to cook ringneck

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 pm

duckhunter10610 wrote:Yea i never used to soak them untill recently and i find that it makes them taste more tender. I have always been told that they were trash ducks and ive even herd people say they would never shoot one because they are so nasty.

I eat everything from mergansers to coot
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby duckhunter10610 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
duckhunter10610 wrote:Yea i never used to soak them untill recently and i find that it makes them taste more tender. I have always been told that they were trash ducks and ive even herd people say they would never shoot one because they are so nasty.

Amen to that! I believe you kill it you eat it so if I accidentally kill a coot trying to kill a cripple its gunna be eaten!
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:55 pm

I just wrap ducks in bacon and grilled them. Never thought about soaking and marinading anything but beef to get that cow taste out of it. :huh: I have some ribeyes (ain't sure where the eyes are but I hope I don't eat 'em!) in the freezer. So, soak them for 2 days in salt water, drain every day, and then marinade them in buttermilk over night. Might just have to try that. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:09 pm

duckhunter10610 wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

Amen to that! I believe you kill it you eat it so if I accidentally kill a coot trying to kill a cripple its gunna be eaten!

Please send address 'cause if I ever happen to shoot either accidently, I'll not be eating it!! :fingerpt:
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:08 pm

ringnecks are good in sausage, or gumbo tenfinger... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Wasn't referring to ringnecks, Inda...........see tmclaimer's highlight about 'merganzers and coots'. I don't shoot em, but if I ever make that mistake, I was glad to see a place I could send them to be eaten.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:34 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Wasn't referring to ringnecks, Inda...........see tmclaimer's highlight about 'merganzers and coots'. I don't shoot em, but if I ever make that mistake, I was glad to see a place I could send them to be eaten.

my mistake....coots here in louisiana are good. some here rather coots over ducks.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
tenfingergrip wrote:Wasn't referring to ringnecks, Inda...........see tmclaimer's highlight about 'merganzers and coots'. I don't shoot em, but if I ever make that mistake, I was glad to see a place I could send them to be eaten.

my mistake....coots here in louisiana are good. some here rather coots over ducks.

Can truthfully say I've never eaten one. Not to say I wouldn't try it if I was sure the person offering wasn't pulling my leg! Never could ever figure out how they get south, either. They must walk! Never do ever see 'em more than 5 or 10 feet off the water. overpasses must give them hell on the migration!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:47 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Can truthfully say I've never eaten one. Not to say I wouldn't try it if I was sure the person offering wasn't pulling my leg! Never could ever figure out how they get south, either. They must walk! Never do ever see 'em more than 5 or 10 feet off the water. overpasses must give them hell on the migration!

They migrate exclusively at night. This has been documented by radio tracking. they take off the marsh at dusk, and settle back on water at dawn. I have been on the marsh inda blind when a large flock of migrating coots has landed, it was a sight to see....and you can ask jehler-coots do fly and gain altitude down here. Coonasses will choot dem if dey don't!! :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:52 pm

I have been hunting for many years but have only started really getting into cooking over the last two. I always soak the ducks and geese in salt water for a day or two but I have never heard of using milk. Why milk and does it matter what kind?

I normally still marinade the breasts in other sauces like teriyaki / garlic / beer marinades before grilling or cooking. Is the milk instead of that or would you still use other marinades after the milk?
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:58 pm

aclumpkin wrote:I have been hunting for many years but have only started really getting into cooking over the last two. I always soak the ducks and geese in salt water for a day or two but I have never heard of using milk. Why milk and does it matter what kind?

I normally still marinade the breasts in other sauces like teriyaki / garlic / beer marinades before grilling or cooking. Is the milk instead of that or would you still use other marinades after the milk?

it's the enzymes in milk. they pull out some of the compounds that give meat a "wild" taste. buttermilk works best on catfish..... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby duckhunter10610 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:23 pm

aclumpkin wrote:I have been hunting for many years but have only started really getting into cooking over the last two. I always soak the ducks and geese in salt water for a day or two but I have never heard of using milk. Why milk and does it matter what kind?

Yea any milk works and yea I still do marinades after the milk for extra flavor. It helps alot with taking the gamyness out of the birds. Hope this helps :smile:
God Bless
duckhunter10610
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking