Got a good duck jerky marinade recipie? How to make jerky??

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Got a good duck jerky marinade recipie? How to make jerky??

Postby Troutslayer » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:24 pm

I'm going to try making jerky, going to buy a dehydrator tomorrow. I'm looking for a good brine/marinade for mallards and other good ducks. How thick should I slice the meat? How long do I marinate? How long do I leave it in the dehydrator and on what setting? As you can see, I don't know anything about this, I have dried some vegetables and fruits before, but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good batch of ducks on my first attempt.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Fooniespucker » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:15 pm

Hey Troutslayer,

You might want to take a peek at the Dehydrator v. Smoker post. Then read up on the How to make a brine? Post. Although I would buy a smoker over a dehydrator in a minute, if you are going to use the dehydrator or a smoker the cuts should be approx 1/4 inch. Dude, I really think you should look into a bbq/smoker. You'll never get that sweet carmelized smokey taste that I'm sure you are looking for in your jerky.

In either case bon a petit buddy!
Let'em work
Fooniespucker
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:40 am

You want to slice it as thin as possible, if its to thick it will take longer too cook and may not taste right. You can make the marinade as fancy as you want it to be. I will soak in pet milk over night to take the game taste out and then make a dry rub with mainly Tony's or as normal jerky is you can soak in Teriyaki, or any steak marinade. If you afraid of ruining meat then don't put it all in at once. All dehyrators come with a book that will tell you how long to cook certain foods.

Just a little advice if you have a sensative wife then you may want to cook this in the garage or at least keep a window open as you will be cooking for quite awhile and it will smell up the house. Not that my wife doesn't like game but the smell can get overwhelming.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DMK » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:45 am

Go with a smoker.
1/4" thk w/three trays of wood chips.
1/2C pickeling salt
1/2C white sugar
spice according to your likes.
I reccomend adding spices
after the smoking is done
and after you tap dry the jerky first
before adding spice (brown sugar and black pepper) :salude:
or chipotle is awesome to.
The con is to this recipe is it is too easy to eat.
You could dry in smoker for another 1/2 to 1 hr to toughen it up.
Remove the silver skin before slicing 1/4" strips.
Brine in frig for 12 hours and add 1 quart of water
with 5# of meat.

You'll like it.

DK
DENNIS
Hanlontown, Iowa
DMK
hunter

o

Postby jpm49878 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:54 pm

i have a simple recipe and it works great. take your duck and cut it into strips, then marinade in soy sauce with lots of garlic powder, seasoning salt(use to taste), pepper. marinate for about an hour. then put on the dehydrator. with the remaining marinade, brush it on. very tasty. :thumbsup:
I WAS BORN IN THE MARSH, I WILL DIE IN THE MARSH
jpm49878
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Daisycuttin » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:18 pm

No smoker or dehydrater necessary.

Duck jerky supplies
1 1/2 to 2 lbs duck breast
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 paper air condition filters
1 box fan
2 bungee cords

Step 1 : Freeze the duck for 4 hours. Then follow the lines in the meat (with the grain) about 1/4 inch thick.

Step 2: ziplock all the ingredients (not the fan, bungee cords, and filters) and refrigerate for 3-6 hours. Make sure that the brine is exact or the meat could spoil.

Step 3: Lay the fan down flat and begin layering (filter, meat, filter, meat, etc.) Lay the meat on top of the ridges with at least 1 inch around them for good airflow. then secure it to the fan with the cords.

Step 4: Stand the fan up and run on medium for about 24 hours. Note: do this in the garage unless you want your whole house to smell like jerky. After about 12 hours, flip the whole stack on the fan .

Step 5: EAT. Dont put in plastic bags because it will rehydrate the meat. Use a jar or other glass container. Will last for up to 3 years.

Enjoy.
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby paulmuz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:00 pm

i have found that you can cut it into 1/8 inch slices. and follow the many deer jerkey recipies. :smile:
paulmuz
hunter

Hi Mountain

Postby NebraskaWaterfowl » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

go to the store and get a pack of Hi Mountain jerky cure/seasoning. Tells you how to do everything. You dont even have to have a dehydrator or smoker unless you want ot spend extra money. i just use my oven.
NebraskaWaterfowl
hunter

Duck Jerky

Postby Cootkiller69 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:08 pm

I would start with the marinade, look on the internet for a jerky marinade using wet ingredients and then break it down and make your own to your taste. I came up with a simple recipe when I was 16 and still use the same recipe today 14yrs later. That is my advice just go with your tastes and don't worry about what everyone uses. For duck jerky I suggest a dehyrater mine is running right this minute.
Cootkiller69
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking